James: My Grandson # 1...... [Yeah, My Kid Popped One Out; Humor? ; New Kid On Earth; Personal]
My only offspring just had her first child.
James is 3 months old; he’s not yet wild.
I hear he drinks a lot of “Mom’s” milk, AND …..
his baby ‘poopies’ are smooth as silk.
I heard he doesn’t cry much. I don’t know why.
On phone, some weeks ago, I first heard him cry.
He lives far, far away, in the “Quaker State”.
I won’t see him till this Autumn; I hope he can wait.
He’s got “Mom”, my dear Shannon, and “Daddy”, Andy,
and one grandpa and two grandmas handy.
I spoke once, briefly, to him on my phone,
but he talked back as much as does a stone.
I’ve yet to see a photo, but I can wait.
No matter how he “looks”, I won’t, him, hate.
I might have traveled to visit by now, if I were wealthy.
More important, by far, is that he is healthy.
I’d send this poem East for James to read,
but he’d probably rather sleep …..and breastfeed.
My kid said “Come later this year, when he can interact.”
Is that her way of saying “Don’t bother us yet”, using tact?
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (James: My Grandson # 1...... [Yeah, My Kid Popped One Out; Humor? ; New Kid On Earth; Personal] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- It's Me: A Woman, Afshan Fatima
- Fortress, Edward Kofi Louis
- 152. Extempore in the Court of Session, Robert Burns
- With No Rest, Edward Kofi Louis
- A Dark Cloud, Edward Kofi Louis
- When we were, 107 tshepzen
- 379. Song—Fragment—Love for love, Robert Burns
- Snail, snake!, Edward Kofi Louis
- 89. The Ordination, Robert Burns
- Cold Rooms, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)