Consider Yourself Lucky …. [Things COULD Be Worse! ; History; Personal Problems; Humor (Maybe Not) ]
I’m not a history buff at all, ……BUT I’ve heard some stories ……
about some of history’s most grievous moments, and some …..of its glories.
I’ll repeat several of the grievous moments for you now to hear.
Some of you may scoff at them, while some may shed a tear.
In ancient Rome some early Christians were fed to wild beasts.
In Fiji once lived men who, on their enemies, would feast.
Citizens of Pompeii were buried by volcanic ash and mud.
Native Americans were persecuted by “whites”....who sometimes shed their blood.
Millions died from the Black Plague in Europe many years ago,
and millions more died,........when the ‘winds of war’, there, did ‘blow’.
People have been doomed to suffer, and sometimes die indeed,
for being of the “wrong” color,....caste, ethnicity, or creed.
So perhaps next time you break a nail, your car runs out of gas,
you don’t get the gift-desired, or, the math exam, you fail to pass,
consider history; then you may think yourself a lucky gal or guy,
that you aren’t in ancient Rome....with a lion chewing on your thigh.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
also, i will point out that i borrowed 'winds of war' from a book title, Winds of War by Herman Wouk, about world war 2.
thanks herman! bri :)
Comments about this poem (Consider Yourself Lucky …. [Things COULD Be Worse! ; History; Personal Problems; Humor (Maybe Not) ] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Songs Of The Death Of Children, Friedrich Rückert
- Resurrection, Vladimir Holan
- How Do They Catch Cobras?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Remember Me, Margaret Mead
- Mechanical Life, Mechanical World, Every.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A child is, Helena Sinervo
- If I Should Die, Thomas Gray
- Her First Week, Sharon Olds
- The Countryside Joker Said It, Let Me Do.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Landmine, Naveed Akram
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)