There's Nothing Better to Do
I wear this shadow to disguise my stare.
Exhibiting voyeuristic behavior,
That finds me kneeling
Behind the groomed bushes.
Of Anywhere U.S.A.'s ranch style home.
Guided by the glowing light
Of her porcelain lamp,
A housewife rummages through her silverware.
Concerned of the cost
To replace her spoons.
After finding them
Stained from flame abuse.
In her daughter's underwear drawer.
She places her hands deep into dish water.
Emerges with bubble-chains on her wrists.
The shadow twitches
A vulnerable moment
Displays my honesty.
“I swear this is a prescription bottle
In my fingers...not my cock! ”
I turn my stare
To the television.
What the foolish call modern art,
Displaces beautiful lips
To burn dialogue.
In the ashes of useful tongues
We bathe our foreheads
In anticipation for Ash Wednesday.
The writers who slaved
For such a useless script,
Market the inspiration of Starbucks
Like Hemingway did tequila.
Share secrets with grass stains.
As she discovers that bubble-chains are fragile.
Along with the motivation
'Nothing better to do.'
A.j. Binash's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (There's Nothing Better to Do by A.j. Binash )
- Picking At Sores, Kyle Schlicher
- Crazy, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- National Festival, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- I Must Make Preparations, Kyle Schlicher
- Aftermath…, LALITHA JOSEPH
- THE FUNERAL RAM, john chizoba vincent
- I Am Tired Before My Time, Kyle Schlicher
- If I Could, Michael McParland
- The Running Wheel Of Love, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Meaningless, timeless...., refilwe ranape
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)