Nothing for Granted
The gift of life, easily overlooked,
Or a softly chosen word,
Slowly becoming so overbooked?
Our vision’s slightly blurred.
Smiles can light the darkest place,
Laughter much more power,
Ever changing a saddened face,
Tender blooming of a flower.
A thank you thrown at leisure,
For a stranger in the crowd,
A small slight hidden treasure,
Spoken firmly, it is allowed.
A chance to live another day,
Skipping stones across the water,
Remembering what it is to play,
How a father loves his daughter.
Loving kindness for one another,
Hand in hand across the land,
Respect for the feminine mother,
Her resources forever withstand.
A quiet place by water’s edge,
Peacefully content in being alone,
Trees forming and ancient hedge,
Simple pleasure in creating a home.
The gift of life, taken for granted,
Real-Eyes, it’s never too late,
Water and soil, deeply planted,
Seeds sown wisely while we wait.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Nothing for Granted by G.R. Gaus )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- ETC2, shuvo chakraborty
- A falling leaf, Manthra Hariharan
- Christmas Invite, Francisco R. Albano
- My Lord, abdulrazak aralimatti
- Jaundice jaundice, gajanan mishra
- Home coming, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Repetition Compulsion Syndrome, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- ETC1, shuvo chakraborty
- Gamble with faith, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Brain is the link., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.