Meals I‘ve Enjoyed, Prepared By My Wife ……. [What It Says; Personal]
This is a rare poem topic, in that it was suggested by my wife,
who rarely shows any interest at all.....in my poetry pursuits.
But I guess that’s fair, given that I’ve little interest in HER life.
Oops! I’d better watch what I say; she may feed me walnut shells.... and oak roots!
At times I’m accused of not savoring my meals. Food put on my plate has no time to spoil.
Most of the plants and meats she cooks are organic and cooked with olive oil.
She’s compared me to a ravenous dog. At least she doesn’t say “Food you waste.”
She is skilled with knives, and pots and pans. Rarely does she cook in haste.
BUT she’d probably say that meals I enjoy most …..are those needing little time to cook.
She pleases me with salmon and sometimes codfish, caught in the wild with net or hook.
I gobble the fried rice (made with pre-cooked rice) , or pasta (with pre-made sauce) . Oh boy! !
These are but a few of the meals which, ......each night I enjoy.
Pork and chicken she cooks well. I prefer them with NO bones to get in my way.
And well-cooked veggies, of at least two colors, make for a tasty meal display.
Anything containing ground beef is nice; adding eggs can make it “better”.
Carrots and broccoli we have a lot, and beets sometimes to make a meal redder.
Some foods she rarely cooks, but, WHEN she cooks, she cooks quite well....
are potatoes (white, purple, or red-orange) , and corn, and peas; they are a treat.
Desserts at home are VERY rare, but sometimes she makes hotcakes which are swell.
But, JUST ONCE, cake, pie, and ice cream for a WHOLE day I’d love to eat.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
i forgot to say:
'when i wrote this poem with pen and paper (NOT pots and pans) i had each stanza with the abab rhymes scheme [first and third lines rhyming and second and fourth lines rhyming]. BUT i didn't like the sound of it! ! ! ! ! ! i therefore switched the order of lines in stanzas 2,3, and 4, so i then had aabb, without changing the wording of the lines. i hope you approve.' bri
AND FURTHERMORE (April 14, '14) i have revised this poem and incorporated most of it into the following newer poem:
'Gourmet Meals AKA My Wife, The Cook …… [A Poem Suggested By My Wife; Personal; FOOD; A Little LONG]' ......care to look?
help yourself to 'seconds'.
Comments about this poem (Meals I‘ve Enjoyed, Prepared By My Wife ……. [What It Says; Personal] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Snapshot of a Mass Murderer, Paul Hartal
- Die Frau des Gastwirts, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Las Mariposas (the Butterflies), John F. McCullagh
- Hindsight coloured, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Practise dispassion., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Reichsbank Gold, Paul Hartal
- Ferguson Grand Jury, Is It Poetry
- The lost bliss, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sonnet: Christmas,2014(Advance Greetings), Dr John Celes
- Thread of Communication, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(22 March 1941 -)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)