Lawrence S. Pertillar
Impiously Irreverent And Profane
The one affair people are reluctant to have,
And it is always there and available.
In fact, as long as I can remember,
The doing of it has never been questioned.
Not by me, I am too willing of a participant.
And over and over again I have noticed,
The benefits are tremendous and generous as well.
When I decided to have my affair with The Creator,
To have publicly announced...
That He 'alone' is my main and only real lover,
People were appalled; upset, angered and astonished!
As if I had done something 'blasphemous'. Atrocious!
Impiously irreverent and profane.
And to know this is the only affair,
I have grown to care about...
Many who profess to have a love for God,
I have witnessed to be the biggest hypocrites.
They can not deceive, lie or cheat quick enough.
As if The Creator is not aware who is 'there',
With a sharing of themselves done faithfully.
If anything and with admitted blemishes, flaws and all...
I know my loyalty and devotion.
Although tested to give me fits to ball my fists at times,
Never have I waivered since I've given it.
I can't even 'think' of straying or being teased,
To ease my 'affair' off track...
Without some initial feeling of guilt.
That's how deep it is between us.
'Say it again.'
I love YOU.
I love YOU.
'One more time for the road.
And the obstacles.'
'The one that comes for you ahead.
But never mind that right 'now',
Just say it.'
I love YOU.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Impiously Irreverent And Profane by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- The Fulani and His Cattle, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- LOVE, DRASHI SHAH
- LITTLE DREAM, DRASHI SHAH
- Together Alone, S. I. Rednow
- HOLDING HANDS.., DRASHI SHAH
- Love Can Do It, Akhtar Jawad
- Just the beginning of that pretty Fall, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The flame of hope, bryan wallace
- Myself, Hans Raj Sharma
- The Ends and the Means, David McLansky
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1930 - 1998)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)