I'm tuckered from weeding and rest mid the flowers,
This offers real meaning to these warm summer hours.
A diminutive bug of green iridescence,
Honors my efforts with her elegant presence.
'My new hostas are choice', I'm dumbfounded to hear,
This announcement is crisp and surprisingly clear.
''They acknowledge my new horticultural scheme,
If you'll note the seersuckered chartreuse edged with cream.'
I don't blink, I don't breath, I quiescently stare!
'What did she say? ' I hear myself ask of the air.
The shiny one answers with discriminate flair,
Unquestioned advice from a gardener rare!
'The pipsqueak began blooming so early this year,
It's floriferous grandeur is waning, I fear.
Knotweed inspires a taxonomical question,
The untangled red my experienced suggestion.
And mad-dog skull cap is a welcome addition,
It's jovial nature precedes it's admission! '
All at once there is silence, I'm keenly aware,
Of unyielding edges on my old wooden chair.
It's half-past noon, I'm thirsty, and ready for lunch!
She is not to be seen, but I like her a bunch!
I'm sure she'd be helpful and most willing to share,
The next time I catnap in my old wooden chair.
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Green Iridescence by Connie Yost )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
Poem of the Day
- Phantom!, Denis Martindale
- Combing Interior Forces, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Songs of A Bull Frog (Part Three) .., Merton Lee
- Awesome Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fluid Insturmental Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Satisfied, Robert Ronnow
- Ones Parents, michael walkerjohn
- Fascinating Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dwelling In Perfection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Line to You, Olufayo Ezekiel