T (no first name) Wignesan
A Childhood Memory, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Recuerdo de infancia
(Note: Poem inspired by the figure of Bousono’s grand-aunt with whom he had had to live since childhood, after the death of his mother. Cf. Carlos Bousono. Poesia Antologia: 1945-1993. Madrid: Espasa Calpe,1993. T. Wignesan)
There was a child. A child who in your hands
wanted to experience the music of sunrise,
feel the soft lawn, the suave grass.*
Out there, in the heights, lights stuck up high.
Was I about to sound the rock
of its mysterious and cautious blackness?
The world hushed as did also the sky.
The sky hushed like a child would.
Oh! My childhood dream of a river lined with fronds,
My cristal flight: made all the more necessary;
my constant tolerance faced with your mood changes
before the grimness of your statuesque stance!
Silent, stilled woman alone during the day,
woman without light, the woman of long shadows,
dried-up wall unable to feel pain: sheer matter.
A hard, embittered woman!
Further, as I watched you at other times walking about:
Your enormous dress train in the sombre mansion
while I continued to strike at my tenuous light.
My girlish light, my suave and livid lights.
Your quietude waxed furious, your parched country
when crossing your path
a child, even a child, always, always,
like scum, the nausea…
© T. Wignesan – Paris,2013
T (no first name) Wignesan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Childhood Memory, Translation Of Carlos Bousono's Poem: Recuerdo de infancia by T (no first name) Wignesan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(7 October 1948 -)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- ARRIVAL DAY, michael walkerjohn
- Yeh Meri Betian, Akhtar Jawad
- I am with you, Tiku akp
- आबै-आबौनि गामि, Ronjoy Brahma
- जोमैनि गामियाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- Ogling breasts … 2112-14, saadat tahir
- गोसोखौ बुरखायो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Banging, Casey Renee Kiser
- New Birth, Paul Sebastian
- First Encounter - Tan Sri Clement Hii, john tiong chunghoo