A blessing for secular humanists
I will walk or fall, but always
I will be strong
relying on myself, or
In times of trouble
call to union
Of my siblings.
I will be empowered in unity
With woman and man
And seek dignity
From diversity in all of humanity.
I will be humble and diminished
Of the mighty awe of Nature,
And offer great care and deference,
Appreciating fully my
fragile and tenuous existence,
at Gaia's pleasure.
I offer compassion to the needy
I despise tolerance
as it is thinly veiled hatred.
I do not hate who I am,
I do not loathe or pity
the splendid joy of being human,
I am not weak
I am me.
Do not mistake
my compassion for weakness,
I am inherent strength, with a
generosity, gratis from self.
I have an unyielding capacity
To live my life my way,
With love and care and ethics
I don't have room for hate.
I cannot subscribe to your 'sin',
we live and love and make mistakes
and are by our actions answerable,
and each must accept responsibility.
I have no need
for heirachical entitlement,
and no need for institutionalised fear
disguised as love.
I have no need to suppress and hate
and control, the minds and lives of
others, to hold power over them,
I have no gender agenda.
I am not that weak and insecure
and lacking self respect
to desire to dictate to others
a universal dogma for life.
So much more can be achieved
As equals in partnership
In cooperation and friendship,
Forget the dread and fear.
Leave me alone and I will
Grow into the time I have
And one day return
To the universe
With no threat of
eternal subjugation, as reward for
buying fear and condescension.
I will love and accept
And always grow
The light e'er expanding,
Seeking truth and wisdom,
Knowledge from fact, and
Beauty as a vital essence
A hearts desire,
To dream unfettered
And in all things grow, with
Liberty of heart
and mind to choose
Where one may dwell
And expand and reach,
Free of molestation
I believe each individual
Will be free.
I believe in me
And above all else
I believe in you
And a future
Free to grow,
With its molten
And Big Bang
guide us on.
Danny Draper 30/10/2012
Danny Draper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A blessing for secular humanists by Danny Draper )
- To touch a star is to be ouch with respe.., Raymond Sawyer
- Her enchanted delight, Amgad Samy
- my glasses, Bull Hawking
- 64 and deaf, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- For every star that one see is the star .., Raymond Sawyer
- They came across a homeless-looking man, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- He Is A Clown, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Morally Corrupt, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- hey four eyes with the square tie, Jena Crowe
- Where there respect thus there Star Bucks., Raymond Sawyer
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)