Sharon Jane Lansbury
Really isn’t up to speed,
And though we think she’s really great,
Our Grandmama is always late.
She came to stay with us one year
Such fun we have with Grandma dear!
And there with tickets for the train
(we thought we’d let it take the strain)
the two-fifteen from Leafy Junction
stirs in Grandma no compunction
however long the notice given,
unless escorted, chauffeur-driven
In catching trains will not succeed –
For thinking she’s an hour to spare
She takes her time in getting there.
Before our Grandmama has started,
the train on Platform Three’s departed!
There’s nothing really to be done,
Our father, as her only son,
has found a method to suit us all;
Upon receipt of Grandma’s call
We add an hour to stated time
And let the hall clock gently chime,
(the secret of our own survival
with the imminent arrival
Of Grandmama Mamillipede
who never seems to think of speed) .
But there’s one thing to make her quick!
We have to play an artful trick:
When Grandma Milli comes to stay
we sit her in the window bay:
Across the lounge room floor at night
Giving EVERYONE a fright
The biggest, hairiest spider hurtles
And Grandma jumps Olympic hurdles!
Sharon Jane Lansbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Relatively Slow by Sharon Jane Lansbury )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- The Mad Scientist Writing, Kyle Schlicher
- Right or Wrong, Nasarudheen.P. Parameswaran
- A Real Friend, Margaret Moran
- you're a vessel i want live on twelve mo.., Mandolyn ...
- Riff on Bruce's Post Card Love Affairs, David McLansky
- Eternal Thirst, Lora Colon
- When I look at you, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Formalities Not Necessary, Margaret Moran
- two women, Nassy Fesharaki
- I have seen everywhere, gajanan mishra