Sharon Jane Lansbury
Goodness me! What do I see?
Upon a snail, a leafy tree!
And on that fence, why how absurd!
There sits a happy, singing bird!
Then said the snail: ‘I beg your pardon,
you’re looking at my new roof garden! ’
‘Well truly such a lovely sight
it must have taken all your might? ’
‘Indeed I cannot take the praise,
those spiders laboured days and days.
But here’s a lesson I must teach:
A snail cannot roof gardens reach,
For when I try to climb the wall,
it stands to reason that I fall:
Upon its axis, like the world,
Some 90 degrees my garden’s hurled!
So tell me, do my pansies grow,
And does the green lawn need a mow? ’
Sharon Jane Lansbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Roof Garden by Sharon Jane Lansbury )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Anecdote of the Jar, Wallace Stevens
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Indian Weavers, Sarojini Naidu
Poem of the Day
- I Chose To Mickey With The Mouse, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Honey-Bee Lover, Paul Sebastian
- How real is This Truth?, michael walkerjohn
- What Bhagavad Gita is not, Bashyam Narayanan
- Sold, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Pain, Pain Knows No Race, Hebert Logerie
- God's Hands Of Love, Tom Zart
- Alone, Samantha Gronn
- David, Casey Renee Kiser
- She Stuck Her Butt Out At Me..., wanderer sailor