Sharon Jane Lansbury
Goodness me! What do I see?
Upon a snail, a leafy tree!
And on that fence, why how absurd!
There sits a happy, singing bird!
Then said the snail: ‘I beg your pardon,
you’re looking at my new roof garden! ’
‘Well truly such a lovely sight
it must have taken all your might? ’
‘Indeed I cannot take the praise,
those spiders laboured days and days.
But here’s a lesson I must teach:
A snail cannot roof gardens reach,
For when I try to climb the wall,
it stands to reason that I fall:
Upon its axis, like the world,
Some 90 degrees my garden’s hurled!
So tell me, do my pansies grow,
And does the green lawn need a mow? ’
Sharon Jane Lansbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Roof Garden by Sharon Jane Lansbury )
- Lord Gregory: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- The Winter it is Past, Robert Burns
- NIT jalandhar diyan galan(punjai), jagmeet singh
- Epistle to William Simson, Robert Burns
- Farewell to Eliza, Robert Burns
- The Kirk of Scotland's Alarm: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- Impromptu on Dumourier's Desertion of th.., Robert Burns
- I Love my Love in Secret, Robert Burns
- Impromptu on Mrs. Riddell's Birthday, Robert Burns
- Epigram on Miss Davies, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- The Frog and The Nightingale, Vikram Seth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)