Sharon Jane Lansbury
I snuggled with my book in bed,
a feather pillow for my head,
when something strange materialised
right there before my very eyes!
A troop of creatures fairly small
across my eiderdown they crawled,
they marched up to my book to see
if they might have a word with me!
Their leader said, in tiny tones:
‘listen up you lazy bones! ’
I gazed down at the crowd before me,
half a million, then add forty!
‘Well? ’ I said. ‘What’s wrong with you?
Do you want to hear this story too? ’
‘Darn and blast you! ’ he cried in fright:
‘You keep us up for half the night!
Can’t you keep still? Not move around?
Or better still, sleep on the ground? ’
‘I don’t see why I should’ I said,
‘after all, it is my bed! ’
‘Rubbish’ said the chap in charge.
‘It’s you – you’re far too fat and large!
For nightly when we snuggle round
deep within your eiderdown,
nestled cosy in your sheets
and busy counting woolly sheeps
you roll and bound. You won’t keep still!
You squeeze and squash us all at will! ’
‘Aha! ’ I said. ‘Now come with me
and we’ll avert catastrophe! ’
I marched them to my dolly’s house,
evicted Archibald, my mouse,
Peace restored, and back to bed,
another problem lay ahead:
For there within the warmth installed,
I found a comfy Archibald!
Sharon Jane Lansbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bed Bugs! by Sharon Jane Lansbury )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1618 – 28 July 1667)
- leticia s david
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(November 9 - 1937)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Poem of the Day
- There Is No Place For True Contributor, Pijush Biswas
- Bachchon ka ghar बच्चों का घर, S.D. TIWARI
- Goodnight Prayer(For You), Michael McParland
- Marching On, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rum, crumbs!, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Point It Out To You, Edward Kofi Louis
- elephant selfie, lee fones
- You Are Very Beautiful II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Winter and Christmas, Rimni chakravarty
- - Μουγγό σκυλί (Greek poem), Giorgio A. V.