Sharon Jane Lansbury
I snuggled with my book in bed,
a feather pillow for my head,
when something strange materialised
right there before my very eyes!
A troop of creatures fairly small
across my eiderdown they crawled,
they marched up to my book to see
if they might have a word with me!
Their leader said, in tiny tones:
‘listen up you lazy bones! ’
I gazed down at the crowd before me,
half a million, then add forty!
‘Well? ’ I said. ‘What’s wrong with you?
Do you want to hear this story too? ’
‘Darn and blast you! ’ he cried in fright:
‘You keep us up for half the night!
Can’t you keep still? Not move around?
Or better still, sleep on the ground? ’
‘I don’t see why I should’ I said,
‘after all, it is my bed! ’
‘Rubbish’ said the chap in charge.
‘It’s you – you’re far too fat and large!
For nightly when we snuggle round
deep within your eiderdown,
nestled cosy in your sheets
and busy counting woolly sheeps
you roll and bound. You won’t keep still!
You squeeze and squash us all at will! ’
‘Aha! ’ I said. ‘Now come with me
and we’ll avert catastrophe! ’
I marched them to my dolly’s house,
evicted Archibald, my mouse,
Peace restored, and back to bed,
another problem lay ahead:
For there within the warmth installed,
I found a comfy Archibald!
Sharon Jane Lansbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bed Bugs! by Sharon Jane Lansbury )
- soon. chapter 1, Mandolyn ...
- Dragon King Daughter, Tim caffery
- LONE LADY, vidyut chakraborty
- Psalm 070, Forrest Hainline
- What is said in autobiography, gajanan mishra
- The weird erotica, Marcel Aouizerate
- Acting Judge, Tim caffery
- Your lovely smile, Jesus James Llorico
- Past Reloaded, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Truest Love., Achill Ladd
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)