Sharon Jane Lansbury
I snuggled with my book in bed,
a feather pillow for my head,
when something strange materialised
right there before my very eyes!
A troop of creatures fairly small
across my eiderdown they crawled,
they marched up to my book to see
if they might have a word with me!
Their leader said, in tiny tones:
‘listen up you lazy bones! ’
I gazed down at the crowd before me,
half a million, then add forty!
‘Well? ’ I said. ‘What’s wrong with you?
Do you want to hear this story too? ’
‘Darn and blast you! ’ he cried in fright:
‘You keep us up for half the night!
Can’t you keep still? Not move around?
Or better still, sleep on the ground? ’
‘I don’t see why I should’ I said,
‘after all, it is my bed! ’
‘Rubbish’ said the chap in charge.
‘It’s you – you’re far too fat and large!
For nightly when we snuggle round
deep within your eiderdown,
nestled cosy in your sheets
and busy counting woolly sheeps
you roll and bound. You won’t keep still!
You squeeze and squash us all at will! ’
‘Aha! ’ I said. ‘Now come with me
and we’ll avert catastrophe! ’
I marched them to my dolly’s house,
evicted Archibald, my mouse,
Peace restored, and back to bed,
another problem lay ahead:
For there within the warmth installed,
I found a comfy Archibald!
Sharon Jane Lansbury's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bed Bugs! by Sharon Jane Lansbury )
- It's on Sale, Doug Jones
- I Sang, Vera Sidhwa
- Something Just Touched Me, Stephen Warren Williams
- Waiting too Volunteer, michael walkerjohn
- Embargo all over, hasmukh amathalal
- Time shall, hasmukh amathalal
- Dreamology, Sandra Feldman
- Till last time, hasmukh amathalal
- no blue/no green, delilah contrapunctal.... ye ..
- leave, Vanessa Parodia
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(6 January 1878 – 22 July 1967)