He was a momma’s boy.
And he treated me as his toy.
To him I was just a ragdoll.
That could take a good beating.
Sometimes his beatings came so hard that I could hardly crawl.
He liked to hit me right in the center of the stomach.
It always left me feeling horrible.
Like I was going to throw-up,
I was his ragdoll that wouldn’t give-up.
I had problems with my stomach muscles.
And there were times that I couldn’t even raise myself up.
But this was the life of a ragdoll toy.
Sometimes he would pull my hair.
So hard that he would leave it on the floor,
It didn’t seem like momma really cared.
Then he would kick me.
Or spit on me.
Momma would just shake her redhead.
There were times I thought he was going to knock off my head.
I wasn’t sure how long a ragdoll toy could last.
Because he could move so fast,
I was just a little ragdoll in his crazy hands.
That never understood his plans.
On how he was going to destroy this ragdoll toy,
He said he was going to take me to the lake.
And tie my hands and feet to cement blocks.
And I would sink like heavy rocks.
And mom and dad would never see my golden locks.
I figured he would.
Because he would do anything he could.
To his little ragdoll toy,
That prayed God would free her from a crazy boy.
Being a bad momma’s boy!
I learned early on I was just a broken toy.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Momma's Boy by Patricia Kelley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila
- The Main Ingredient, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Missing From Action, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 12 Poems (English) from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall
- Lighthouse, sheena blackhall
- Human Touch, Mark R Slaughter
- Fishing Village, sheena blackhall
- Skull, Mark R Slaughter