Marriage Is....... [aspects of marriage; some personal thoughts from a three-time 'loser']
I’m a man who likes marriage, though it doesn’t always like me.
I’m in my fourth (three divorces): may be my last; we’ll see.
Marriage is a tumble. Sometimes I stumble, may even have rumble.
Marriage could be better were both spouses more humble.
It’s a joining of bodies and souls confronting each day
and confronting each other, at rest, and at work, and at play,
with thoughts, emotions, words (or not) , and activities....
varying according to each partner’s proclivities.
It’s sharing life between two people, for “better or worse”,
and often sharing meals, and bedroom, and bathroom, and even “purse”.
Kids or pets, added to marriage, may give it needed zest,
but may also be problematic, like problems on a test.
A mix of emotional and material desires
will sometimes fan OR dowse two people’s nuptial fires.
And though it may be convenient to just say marriage is “love-driven”,
I suggest you can also say at times: “I’m sorry”, and “You are forgiven”.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Marriage Is....... [aspects of marriage; some personal thoughts from a three-time 'loser'] by Bri Edwards )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 March 1941 -)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Εntity, Elena Ioannou
- Resent therefore, hasmukh amathalal
- Colour, novoti gcisakazi Calpurnia j ..
- Not feasible, hasmukh amathalal
- The heart, Leong Ming Loong
- Not shy away, hasmukh amathalal
- Time, novoti gcisakazi Calpurnia j ..
- who, Cee Bea
- Give and Take, Md. Ziaul Haque
- She has Fallen Ill, Md. Ziaul Haque