Long And Boring, Short And Sweet
Walking went I
When I found an old man.
In the same direction he went.
Approaching his feet
My mouth opened and said:
“ Good morning, sir.
Have you a good day had? ”
“ A normal day had I,
But a boring and awful life”
Said he while rubbing his eyes.
“ But you have lived long,
May I say without rudeness”
“ Eighty 12 months exactly,
But it seems 200 it was”.
The next morning went I
And a young man found.
I gave him a look
And with a smile asked:
“ You look so happy, my lad.
May I ask what the cause was? ”
A smile he gave back
And happily said:
“ I have cancer, my friend.
And tomorrow I shall die”.
I gave him a grimace
And with pity replied:
“ I am sorry my friend,
Though you could have lived
A healthy longer life”.
“ Oh no! ”, Said he with a beam,
“ I have lived happier
Than that eighty year old.
And even though I am twenty,
I have smiled and experienced enough”
Karen GonzalezVidela's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Long And Boring, Short And Sweet by Karen GonzalezVidela )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Little Stick Figures, Margaret Alice Second
- Racquets in Two-More, douglas scotney
- Life is drizzling, Amit Mathur
- Out Of My Head, Anuradha Singh
- Revealing life in Death, Angell Afinowi
- The Jujube Tree And Me, Madathil Nair
- AM HOOKED IN YOUR TRUE LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- Coffee And Cream Chocolates, Michael P. McParland
- Bless You Tonight, Michael P. McParland
- You at the Center, rosalinda flores rosevoc