Long And Boring, Short And Sweet
Walking went I
When I found an old man.
In the same direction he went.
Approaching his feet
My mouth opened and said:
“ Good morning, sir.
Have you a good day had? ”
“ A normal day had I,
But a boring and awful life”
Said he while rubbing his eyes.
“ But you have lived long,
May I say without rudeness”
“ Eighty 12 months exactly,
But it seems 200 it was”.
The next morning went I
And a young man found.
I gave him a look
And with a smile asked:
“ You look so happy, my lad.
May I ask what the cause was? ”
A smile he gave back
And happily said:
“ I have cancer, my friend.
And tomorrow I shall die”.
I gave him a grimace
And with pity replied:
“ I am sorry my friend,
Though you could have lived
A healthy longer life”.
“ Oh no! ”, Said he with a beam,
“ I have lived happier
Than that eighty year old.
And even though I am twenty,
I have smiled and experienced enough”
Karen GonzalezVidela's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Long And Boring, Short And Sweet by Karen GonzalezVidela )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Time is Time, Juliet Languedoc
- The Garbage Is Collected On Thursday, Kyle Schlicher
- Are The Girls For To Be Sold & Bought?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Was Thirteen, Kyle Schlicher
- A strong strife!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- I.H.Rizvi As A Romantic Indian English P.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Life In A Beer Commercial, Kyle Schlicher
- MY KALAHANDI, Prasanna Mishra
- A FISHERMAN'S BASKET سلة صياد السمك, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Decorating The Interior Of Nothing, Kyle Schlicher