He wore tarnish proudly.
Not like a badge,
More like one of those enigmatic rune tattoos
that littered his skin like checkmarks on a bad students paper.
You know the type...
the piercings, the ink, the punk-red shock of 'hair without boundaries'
He had meticulously cataloged his every indiscretion,
I found myself leaping to his defense,
but he would have none of that.
'It's who I am. It's what I've done.'
Just another River Boy,
A tourist in the dream scape of reality.
He wandered onto the ruins of the unknown..
As his mind sought out the universe in
the starry skies above.
He understood the signs
that others are still trying to decipher.
Symbols written in stone with blood,
and messages chiseled on the soul by the wind.
They say that you can 'catch' a glimpse,
But this is no more possible
Than folding smoke in your fingers.
The firmer your grip, the less you will hold
May you find a newer,
gentler path among the stars.
And may it be your trumpet
To herald the end.
Lynne FincherSpringarden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Glimpse by Lynne FincherSpringarden )
- Shadow Chase, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Love and True love, Tilde Sauffaus
- On - that note, sEaN nOrTh
- In The Quiet Of The Night, Clive Blake
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #8, Brian Johnston
- Old Drunk's Advice to an Anxious Beau, Donal Mahoney
- TWAILE! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Mother, Tamara Dunn
- Autumn, Mark Hamilton
- J.Bast, I try your face... - translation.., Lyudmila Purgina
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns