FOR ALL MY CHIDREN
Perhaps if things were different,
If I planned another life,
I wonder how it would have affected you.
What would you be like if things were only different?
Maybe we could have given you more,
If there was more money to go around with four kids,
The newest designer jeans, pump up shoes, the latest gt snow racer?
Perhaps your own car would been the answer?
And I wonder would it have mattered?
Would it have made you more secure? more confident in yourself?
Happier, selfassured, more filled with joy?
I remeber all the laughter, all the smiles, brown eyes looking up at me with innocent security,
Safe, secure, happy children...
Oh the vaccations we failed to tour the world with you...
Pardon me, it was not in the parenting manuel,
Since I could not give you more material things...
Have I really given you less?
For I gave you the gift of brothers, and sisters,
I gave you the gift of family, both near and far, and friends galore,
I gave you the gift of unconditional love,
I gave you the gift of life!
As with all gifts given us,
We have the choice to treasure and accept it, exchange it,
Or just throw it away...
What shall your choice be?
......................................... ..AUG 1992....Cambridge Keenan
Cambridge Keenan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (FOR ALL MY CHIDREN by Cambridge Keenan )
- Night Walkers, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Sonnet: Life Looks Strange, Dr John Celes
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)