MM opening bills. Diotima lolls nearby. She smokes.
MM Why do prices always go up?
D (shrugs) Some people say it's natural.
MM Do you think that's true?
D Yes and no. The real reason, of course, is....
MM What? I'm listening-
D - gravity. They go up because of gravity. It's a law.
MM Really? Diotima, I thought gravity made things go down.
If what you say's true, shouldn't things get cheaper?
D Quelle naivete! You're forgetting one thing.
It's a topsy-turvy world. Gravity used to make things go down.
Now it makes things go up. Prices included.
MM Hm. Then it has nothing to do with greed?
MM Or need to maintain a profit margin?
MM Or the singling out of necessities to profit by?
Like food, a roof, medication, transportation?
D Absolutely not!
MM Or high overhead, getting passed on to the consumer?
D Where do you get these ideas? That's just silly.
(silence; Diotima smokes)
MM Where do babies come from?
D What a question. Test tubes, of course.
MM Just asking.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dialogue by Morgan Michaels )
- Time without beginnings a better fiend, Mark Heathcote
- Pain Behind a fake Smile, Curtis Brown
- Faiths gate opens on a garden of peace, Mark Heathcote
- Emotional Hardship, Sandra Feldman
- Untouched, Lenny Orlando Camacho
- My Mother..., Taimane Fanene
- Ignoring Seasons, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Ephemera, Ian Nicholas McDowell
- Seeing light in Darkness, Aziz Akrish
- Mother! will I not be the saffron spot o.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)