MM opening bills. Diotima lolls nearby. She smokes.
MM Why do prices always go up?
D (shrugs) Some people say it's natural.
MM Do you think that's true?
D Yes and no. The real reason, of course, is....
MM What? I'm listening-
D - gravity. They go up because of gravity. It's a law.
MM Really? Diotima, I thought gravity made things go down.
If what you say's true, shouldn't things get cheaper?
D Quelle naivete! You're forgetting one thing.
It's a topsy-turvy world. Gravity used to make things go down.
Now it makes things go up. Prices included.
MM Hm. Then it has nothing to do with greed?
MM Or need to maintain a profit margin?
MM Or the singling out of necessities to profit by?
Like food, a roof, medication, transportation?
D Absolutely not!
MM Or high overhead, getting passed on to the consumer?
D Where do you get these ideas? That's just silly.
(silence; Diotima smokes)
MM Where do babies come from?
D What a question. Test tubes, of course.
MM Just asking.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dialogue by Morgan Michaels )
- Two Cats, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Shrunken Head, Ronald Peat
- SHE - a love poem, Thomas Kay
- Upon Me, Edward Kofi Louis
- Global Pie-in-the-sky, stephen ifill
- Fifty Percent, Tom Higgins
- Yamine, Edward Kofi Louis
- I want eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- One More For The Road., Tom Higgins
- We don't accept anything anytime...., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)