Grey is your coat,
Smooth and sleek
Paying high on the tote.
We’re on the punt,
We’ve been down all night,
But race eight is here
There goes the red light!
Roaring out of the pink box
You’re straight in the hunt.
That bloody favourite
Has snuck in front.
But not for long,
For you’re closing in fast.
So don’t stop now
Nelly, keep racing past!
Mere seconds remaining,
There’s just the straight to run.
Please dearest Nelly,
We need this one!
Oh Nelly you’ve won it:
The hounds’ war of all wars.
You carried us to heaven
Like an angel with paws.
In our darkest hour,
You sent us fair into the black
So dearest Nelly,
You’re our queen of the track!
Jack Growden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Dearest Nelly by Jack Growden )
- DR.JOSE RIZAL the Hero and the great Mal.., Antonio Liao
- ಧೂಮ್ರಪಾನ ರಗಳೆ, Deepak Malapur
- Sheep of yesterday, today and ever..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Money plays, hasmukh amathalal
- Thinking's Mates, michael walkerjohn
- translate button on blouse, Havilah
- BEAUTY, BUT NOT BEAUTIFUL, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Beauty Of Song, Eve Carter
- WHINING FAITH, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Savoring Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Five Senses, Judith Wright
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1915 - 2000)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)