Grey is your coat,
Smooth and sleek
Paying high on the tote.
We’re on the punt,
We’ve been down all night,
But race eight is here
There goes the red light!
Roaring out of the pink box
You’re straight in the hunt.
That bloody favourite
Has snuck in front.
But not for long,
For you’re closing in fast.
So don’t stop now
Nelly, keep racing past!
Mere seconds remaining,
There’s just the straight to run.
Please dearest Nelly,
We need this one!
Oh Nelly you’ve won it:
The hounds’ war of all wars.
You carried us to heaven
Like an angel with paws.
In our darkest hour,
You sent us fair into the black
So dearest Nelly,
You’re our queen of the track!
Jack Growden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Dearest Nelly by Jack Growden )
- Clean India Campaign, Dr John Celes
- Holy Journey, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- MISSION, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life's Numbers, Randy McClave
- Imagining Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Hunted, Mae AC.
- 13 April 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 7 Aprl 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 25 March 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Walking the Dog, Kaila George
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)