Throw me a line, please pull me in,
I'm going down time and again,
Caught in the current, I'm running thin,
My mind won't set free, the pain.
Lost in thoughts of what I've learned,
Taught by family and friends,
Lately now I've become concerned,
How life gets stuck in these trends.
What happened to peace in being alone?
Without answering to somebody else,
Living in a group is like being a clone,
There is simply no individual self.
No man is an island, for what it's worth,
It might be much better for his soul,
Feeling his thoughts, close to the earth,
Instead of growing up playing a role.
We're all in the same boat, drifting to sea,
Our paddles have been lost with our mind,
Search the world over for the golden key,
While for millenniums we slowly went blind.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Counterfeit Life by G.R. Gaus )
Did you read them?
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #12, Ronjoy Brahma
- Wandering With Affliction, Donald R Charon
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #11, Ronjoy Brahma
- Thoughtful Interlude, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Another Look At Easter, Denis Martindale
- थिरिँ बिरिँ #10, Ronjoy Brahma
- Lost Love Redux, Robert Kane
- When I see u, dipa bhattacharyya
- This Flower, Rohit Sapra
- Pretend, dipa bhattacharyya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns