Throw me a line, please pull me in,
I'm going down time and again,
Caught in the current, I'm running thin,
My mind won't set free, the pain.
Lost in thoughts of what I've learned,
Taught by family and friends,
Lately now I've become concerned,
How life gets stuck in these trends.
What happened to peace in being alone?
Without answering to somebody else,
Living in a group is like being a clone,
There is simply no individual self.
No man is an island, for what it's worth,
It might be much better for his soul,
Feeling his thoughts, close to the earth,
Instead of growing up playing a role.
We're all in the same boat, drifting to sea,
Our paddles have been lost with our mind,
Search the world over for the golden key,
While for millenniums we slowly went blind.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Counterfeit Life by G.R. Gaus )
- The Little Robin Flew, Rohan Nath
- Such contacts, hasmukh amathalal
- You hold my soul, Amit Radha Krishna Nigam
- Wrong thought process, Emma Connor
- Watching the tide, Tony Adah
- To My Elder Sister in Old Age..., Dr John Celes
- Villanelle: Trust no one even wife/husba.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Sai Amore (You know honey), Alexander Galbur
- Senyru ' Boil ', miken newman
- Lilian, Cherret Leakey
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(15 April 1958)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns