Throw me a line, please pull me in,
I'm going down time and again,
Caught in the current, I'm running thin,
My mind won't set free, the pain.
Lost in thoughts of what I've learned,
Taught by family and friends,
Lately now I've become concerned,
How life gets stuck in these trends.
What happened to peace in being alone?
Without answering to somebody else,
Living in a group is like being a clone,
There is simply no individual self.
No man is an island, for what it's worth,
It might be much better for his soul,
Feeling his thoughts, close to the earth,
Instead of growing up playing a role.
We're all in the same boat, drifting to sea,
Our paddles have been lost with our mind,
Search the world over for the golden key,
While for millenniums we slowly went blind.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Counterfeit Life by G.R. Gaus )
- Money, Katherine Nordhaus
- Older, Frank Avon
- A question to seasons, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Languid leman, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Tweet-tweet! I Visited a Hamlet with a G.., Harindhar Reddy
- PURITY OF SNOW., Terry Collett
- What If You Had No Beliefs? NONE!, Mr. Nobody
- Love or Sex?, Md. Ziaul Haque
- The founder is his movement's soul., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Rickshaw and the Puller, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Li Ching Chao
(1084 - 1151)
- Heather Burns