Chasing One's Tail
Once, I was a much younger man,
Passed my time in restless thought,
Thinking of how I’d make my stand,
Never sensing that I’d been caught.
Caught in a game so many lose,
Pretending to be someone clever,
Valiantly trying to share strong views,
Becoming lost, along the endeavor.
Endeavor to gain some recognition,
Forgetting the original cause,
Falling into a state of remission,
As a life, being held on pause.
Pause to consider what is real,
Lost in circles, wasting time,
Creating illusions, quite surreal,
Slipping unnoticed, past my prime.
Prime ingredient, intellectual coy,
Pretending well, to keep my cool,
In chess, the goal, out to destroy,
The mind becomes a vicious tool.
Tool of the weak, to be that one,
The one with a head held high,
Deep inside, scared on the run,
Believe me, I’ve been that guy.
That guy is inside most everyone,
Waiting the chance to excel,
Take a shot at poking fun,
Victims of a ruthless quell.
Quell that once horrible feeling,
I learned hard from one mistake,
Turned my back, sent me fleeing,
Anymore, it’s all give and take.
Take only what is given to share,
Give everything someone needs,
Look at everyone with loving care,
Fill your life with endless deeds.
G.R. Gaus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Chasing One's Tail by G.R. Gaus )
- Alive, Cigeng Zhang
- There it Goes, Vera Sidhwa
- A Date With Fate, Noah Body
- Life's a Ball, Alice Cordy
- 'Did I ever Exist? ', Ananta Madhavan
- Keep safe, hasmukh amathalal
- Sunshine, Hanh Chau
- The Power Of Prayer, Tom Zart
- Mini Pool Tournament, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(1 February 1927)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)