Have you ever seen a broken girl’s spirit?
She doesn’t feel like she fits in with the other children.
Her heart’s been broken.
She’s has a low self-image.
She feels like wherever she goes.
She feels all the foes.
All eyes are upon her.
Seeing all of her woes!
Just waiting for her to do something wrong.
Because she’s in a world in which she doesn’t belong.
She has this secret desire to feel longing.
But she’s too young to pack up her belongings.
She doesn’t even own a suitcase.
She goes to school yawning.
Because she’s too afraid to close her eyes at night,
Because it may happen again like last night.
She’s too scared to speak from the fright.
She just closes her eyes.
Trying to act like she’s a sleep she stays wise.
In her dreams she feels safe.
She gave up on happiness that only happens in fairytales.
She once felt like she was a beautiful princess.
But, her life was drained.
Feeling all the strain,
She can’t see pass the pain.
Always taking a long walk in the rain,
Her life has skipped by her.
She remembers days of singing in the rain.
Playing hopscotch on the hot summer pavement,
She doesn’t think she will ever live to hear the word of engagement.
She silently cries with the rain.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Broken Spirit by Patricia Kelley )
- कुछ कह नहीं पाता, Aftab Alam
- Jadavpur University Campus A Heaven For .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Friends and foes, gajanan mishra
- Out There, Fatima Nusairat
- Immortal world, gajanan mishra
- Soulful smile, ramesh rai
- Perfection, Donnie Wolff
- Defiled, gajanan mishra
- Be It Trivial And Mundane, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Every creature, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)