Angel in Transit
I arrived at the airport under dark
Overcast skies. I had a night flight to catch
From Amsterdam to Budapest.
And as I waited
Through the small hours,
The Schiphol Airport
Became quite deserted.
I felt lonely and sad.
My wife just died
And I was depressed.
I waited for my plane
In an almost empty waiting room
When suddenly, to my great surprise,
A pretty young woman seated herself
Next to my chair.
I found this rather strange
Because all the benches around us
Were unoccupied and I wondered
Why she chose to sit nearby.
She was silent but I started to talk to her.
After a while I told her my story
And she began to comfort me
With warm and compassionate words.
At some point I gathered courage
And asked her why she sat next to me.
She looked at me with a gentle smile and said:
'I don't know'.
Yet I felt a mysterious presence
And in her eyes I saw glowing diamond rays
Of solace, tenderness and love.
She stayed there for about 20 or 25 minutes.
Then she rose, gave me a hug, kissed my face
And walked away to board a plane.
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Angel in Transit by Paul Hartal )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
Poem of the Day
- Why Am I? ....., Michael P. McParland
- Your Hate, Michael P. McParland
- Lump, Michael P. McParland
- Retrace, Sunny Chopra
- Diversity-in-Unity*, Tushar Ray
- Nobody Home - 2. Passive Voice, Joseph Archer
- a written poem, animesh sapkota
- Nobody Home - 1. Forever We Roll, Joseph Archer
- Losing Interest, Dawson Walter Smith
- Thirteen Ways To Look at Flowers, Mason Liu