Angel in Transit
I arrived at the airport under dark
Overcast skies. I had a night flight to catch
From Amsterdam to Budapest.
And as I waited
Through the small hours,
The Schiphol Airport
Became quite deserted.
I felt lonely and sad.
My wife just died
And I was depressed.
I waited for my plane
In an almost empty waiting room
When suddenly, to my great surprise,
A pretty young woman seated herself
Next to my chair.
I found this rather strange
Because all the benches around us
Were unoccupied and I wondered
Why she chose to sit nearby.
She was silent but I started to talk to her.
After a while I told her my story
And she began to comfort me
With warm and compassionate words.
At some point I gathered courage
And asked her why she sat next to me.
She looked at me with a gentle smile and said:
'I don't know'.
Yet I felt a mysterious presence
And in her eyes I saw glowing diamond rays
Of solace, tenderness and love.
She stayed there for about 20 or 25 minutes.
Then she rose, gave me a hug, kissed my face
And walked away to board a plane.
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Angel in Transit by Paul Hartal )
- "...away without leave", Jeff Gangwer
- If, Harold R Hunt Sr
- My heart was in an accident, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Grandma's rocker, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The stairway, Harold R Hunt Sr
- knock knock, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Teacher Teacher, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Forget Alzheimer's, S. I. Rednow
- I cant tell you I love you, Trong Phan
- Where frozen ember still burn, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)