A Square Dance
Dance with the girl with auburn hair,
Her pa owns the local livery.
Square up the floor now, pair by pair,
Swing that girl till you're dizzy!
Dance with the boy who just got in,
Been out on his horse a'workin',
All the pretty girls are watchin' him,
He sure got things a'perkin'!
Dance with the girl with coal black eyes,
And a smile so wide and pearly.
All around the floor do dips and dives,
Then take your girl a'twirlin'.
Dance with the fella whose eighty two,
He's still very young and handsome.
Doe-see-doe and winkin' at you,
Out on the floor he's prancin'.
Dance all night, the fiddle's in tune
The upright bass is thumpin'.
Guitar rhythm and a harvest moon,
The new town hall is jumpin'.
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Square Dance by Connie Yost )
- Epitaph To a Dog, George Gordon Byron
- THE LAST LEAF OF AUTUMN, Philo Yan
- Hidden Me, Elia Michael
- Simple rose, hasmukh amathalal
- black ghettoes, oskar hansen
- Towards Air Which Is So Free, Rohit Sapra
- Midnight Blue, Charles Hancock
- Villanelle: Even childhood teenage nurtu.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Conversation between Two Dead Bodies, Md. Ziaul Haque
- This World is Full of Beauty, Gerald Massey
Poem of the Day
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- " To His Fairest Valentine Mrs. A. L., Richard Lovelace
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)