A Square Dance
Dance with the girl with auburn hair,
Her pa owns the local livery.
Square up the floor now, pair by pair,
Swing that girl till you're dizzy!
Dance with the boy who just got in,
Been out on his horse a'workin',
All the pretty girls are watchin' him,
He sure got things a'perkin'!
Dance with the girl with coal black eyes,
And a smile so wide and pearly.
All around the floor do dips and dives,
Then take your girl a'twirlin'.
Dance with the fella whose eighty two,
He's still very young and handsome.
Doe-see-doe and winkin' at you,
Out on the floor he's prancin'.
Dance all night, the fiddle's in tune
The upright bass is thumpin'.
Guitar rhythm and a harvest moon,
The new town hall is jumpin'.
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Square Dance by Connie Yost )
- Tomar Hansi Tomar Kanna, ramesh rai
- But peace, hasmukh amathalal
- Rah! rRah! Siss-boom-bah!, Frank Avon
- Same enthusiasm, hasmukh amathalal
- NOT / Heart-related, Alan Hickman
- Boy last, hasmukh amathalal
- Goodbyes Are Hard, Sayli Satam
- I LOVE PARIS, Terry Collett
- Unrhymed, Naveed Khalid
- One glass one heart, Abdullah alHemaidy
Poem of the Day
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Robert Louis Stevenson
- Heather Burns