‘Is there a problem darling? ’
‘Just leave me alone mom! ’
She banged the door on her mom’s innocent blink
This was the home she wanted to run away from.
‘Look who’s here? ’
‘Oh! The Icky-Becky-Prickly-Stool! ’
She just wanted to run away. But where?
This was her nightmare, her school.
As the night fell, she ran away with a bag
Till she reached the station, she ran like stag
500km she came away from home
Now she really was alone.
She shared a house with an old woman
As a paying guest and got a job as packaging worker
Everyday she went to parties with a new man
Everyday she inched from her family further.
Realized she three years later
What a fool she was
Desire to go back was greater
As her parents must be sad, and she was the cause.
When she knocked, her father opened the door
‘Who are you? ’ he asked angrily
From sadness she fell on floor
But she was being treated fairly.
After he slammed the door shut
She went to their neighbor’s home
‘What are you doing here? ’ the neighbor burst
‘What is it with my dad, I was just thrown.’
‘So you don’t know? Your mother after you were gone
Died of shock and heart attack
Your dad was totally torn
Because love for family you lack.’
She sat down on the stairs
Her hand on her mouth is despair
She didn’t accept to be forgiven
For all the pain she had given.
Aditi Khandelwal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Runaway by Aditi Khandelwal )
- The Acrobat, Pat Raia
- Hupa, John Tansey
- i multi-task hard for you, Mandolyn ...
- Gridlock, Polarization And Shown Indiffe.., Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Similar yet different, Nassy Fesharaki
- Early To Bed, Michael McParland
- Burnt Offerings, John Tansey
- On the Day Isaac Lay Upon the Rock, Guillermo Veloso
- 567, Mandolyn ...
- A Painful Extraction, Greg Costello
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Heather Burns