Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
A Journey With Love
Beholding the early rise I arise
Feeling new life in my spirit so nice
The waters of my belly gaily jogging
The solemn airs of my lungs coolly humming
My lively eyes outstretched far before me
What a pregnant journey I see 'fore me
Oh, my Lord, your aid I beseech
For my daunting journey to reach
For my banana hungry Monkey Monk dances by
But no, I cannot lend for my tummy not to fry
Oh, master, give! Nothing's lost of a candle
In the act of lighting a sister candle.
My feet I push on; my eyes cast onward
Then, gassed out in the fast descending dark
I halt to rest my heavy limbs and head
My weary eyes saved from shutting adead.
Lo, again, Monkey Monk flies anear
For my jug his hands thrust out to bear
To fully wet his cracking throat before mine
Just only a quarter remaining for mine.
Awoken coolly under the blue-white sky
Been watched o'er by the princes of the night sky
I strengthen my will for the remaining steps
The crown lying at the last step of the steps.
But why now I meet this hungry lion
To snatch my breath almost at the Zion?
Oh no, Monkey Monk cries out to me:
Hold thou my tail and fly thou with me.
The animal king's trap just escaped I from
Lo! Staring in my face is this formless form
Oh no again! Whimpers Monkey Monk from the trees
His legs I clinch so he ferries me through the trees
Oh, Monkey Monk, how so great I must owe as my bill? !
No, master, my throat you wet, my belly you filled
While my tail you clinched and my legs you held
Thus, we have paid our bills; love pays all debts.
Christian Tobechukwu Okafor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (A Journey With Love by Christian Tobechukwu Okafor )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(22 March 1941 -)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- God ia not all macho, kalemeera collins
- My mom, Meenakshi Hariharan
- 2006 Tsunami, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Yes, I am emotional, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Perspective, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Let the music play on, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Girl's Proposal, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Man, Katherina Palomo
- Move on, Edward Clapham
- Only the View, David Lewis Paget