A Guitar of Light
Someone has, as it were, thrown away a dark net
and the town has become a trout in the net;
no morning, as it were, has ever approached here,
the town has submerged in overflowing darkness.
The town is, as it were, the island of a fairy tale.
I wonder who are, like the giants, snatching away
the ornament on the forehead of a teen girl
and devouring then the bone-marrow in rapture.
I wonder who, by tearing up the civilization,
are eating up finally its bones and flesh.
Hadn't ever a single monk or saint come
amidst this darkness here?
If it's so, you, o poet, take up the charge
and play the guitar of light in the darkness.
[Translation of Bangla poem 'Alor Guitar' taken from the poet's first book 'Pronoyer Prothom Pap' (1996) ]
Sayeed Abubakar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Guitar of Light by Sayeed Abubakar )
- उगा रेत से बालुआ ये शहर (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- Christmas Blackmail, Phil Soar
- Child Inside, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- G.M. Soldier (still fighting that war wi.., michael walkerjohn
- Imagination, Phil Soar
- Halloween tonight, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Wall @ penn-mar 91732, michael walkerjohn
- Life's Canon, michael walkerjohn
- Platypus, Phil Soar
- Grass, sallam yassin
Poem of the Day
- luggage canada, rwetewrt erwtwer
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 October 1923 – 20 December 1997)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)