A Guitar of Light
Someone has, as it were, thrown away a dark net
and the town has become a trout in the net;
no morning, as it were, has ever approached here,
the town has submerged in overflowing darkness.
The town is, as it were, the island of a fairy tale.
I wonder who are, like the giants, snatching away
the ornament on the forehead of a teen girl
and devouring then the bone-marrow in rapture.
I wonder who, by tearing up the civilization,
are eating up finally its bones and flesh.
Hadn't ever a single monk or saint come
amidst this darkness here?
If it's so, you, o poet, take up the charge
and play the guitar of light in the darkness.
[Translation of Bangla poem 'Alor Guitar' taken from the poet's first book 'Pronoyer Prothom Pap' (1996) ]
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Guitar of Light by Sayeed Abubakar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Innocent heart, Bijay Kant Dubey
- I'll Be Here, Michael P. McParland
- Kitchen Charade, Nicole C Esbach
- &, Nicole C Esbach
- Chiaroscuro, Nicole C Esbach
- Sonnet # 536, Luis Estable
- SELF-INTROSPECTION ON MY HAPPY BIRTH DAY, Purusottam Chuli
- I Wish For Peace, Serena Blackinton
- Sonnet # 535, Luis Estable
- MY FEELINGS FOR YOU, AMADU KAMARA