A Beacon of Hope
I gaze at the morrow,
Shrouded with uncertainty.
Bereft of ideas, I sailed aimlessly.
Tossed by the tide, driven by the wind,
Hauled by a strange current towards a mysterious coast.
I fought with all I could summon, yet I was cast overboard.
My Will with my ship lost.
All I had with it gone. I lay adrift,
Entangled in Poseidon's curls. Swept unconscious
To shore by the waves. I awoke, in the dreary depth of despair,
Beaten, bruised, tattered ‘n' marooned on the isles of isolation.
Haunted by discouragement, I pondered what tricks Fate has for me.
Like a gypsy, homeless have I become
A broken bird with broken dreams, I hop
From branch to branch searching for a way.
I crave a balm for my sore sole. To bathe my
Swollen feet in warm water I seek.
But all alone in the cold I remained.
The birds have their nest,
The foxes, their holes but I, I've
Nowhere to lay my weary head. Starving,
Dehydrated ‘n' bankrupt but who will spare a drink
For my parched tongue? Who will lend a blanket for the night?
Who will mend my broken wings? Yet all alone in the dark I remained
I've failed in all I attempt
My wisdom to naught brought.
My ears heard but understood it not
Neither did my eyes see the handwriting
On the wall. Far across the ocean I could see her
The Lady Aurora a beacon of hope. She said to me, "Though
The night does tarry a while; a new day always is born"
Dave BenOdafe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Beacon of Hope by Dave BenOdafe )
- Kassaman (We Pledge), Moufdi Zakaria
- the rain, ademola oluwabusayo
- Life format, gajanan mishra
- Lonely On A Train, Omar Eldamsheety
- Stone, I do admit, gajanan mishra
- O Time, Stop You, It's My Birthday! Let .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Release, Fiona Davidson
- Jacques the Last, John F. McCullagh
- Kaalchakra, The Wheel of Time, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Moon Spoke to Me, Michael Mira
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)