A.Akhmatova, Grasped my hands... - translation (rus.)
by Anna Akhmatova
Grasped my hands under veil dark 'n swarthy...
'Why today so pale you are? '
'That's from sorrow, astringent sorrow,
Which I've fed to him fully, by far.'
How could I forget? Staggered out,
Twisted mouth on grimacing face...
I've run, trying rails not to touch though,
I've followed him up to gates.
Gasped for breath, I've cried to him: 'Joke!
All was joke! I'll die, when you go...'
Smiled he, said with quiet and horror:
'Don't stay in the wind, it is cold! '
Lyudmila Purgina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A.Akhmatova, Grasped my hands... - translation (rus.) by Lyudmila Purgina )
- Contradict, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Common Sense, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Love's Slow Death, Wilma Horne
- Door to the Mind, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Traveler, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Pockets Of Lace, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Just You, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Cry of the Unwanted, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Beneath the Words, Fariza Nur Shabrina
- Believe, Fariza Nur Shabrina
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)