65th-Birthday Gift(S) ..... [My Birthday Hike With My Mate; Birds; Cheap Spousal Gifts; SHORT]
My odometer turned over again. I’m a youthful 65.
To my delight I was given 3 fine gifts; gifts that were alive!
We had gone hiking up a hill, overlooking the nearby ocean.
I heard a call from above us, and saw three birds in motion.
Three peregrine falcons soared and swooped. Was it all for FREE?
No! said my mate: “I paid them lots of money,.....to do it all for thee.”
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
peregrine falcons, which look like streamlined hawks, are known for having been close to extinction due to pesticide contamination during my lifetime. a pesticide, DDT i think, was banned in the u.s. and efforts were made to encourage successful nesting, including providing artificial nest sites on tops of city skyscrapers. the birds are also famous for the tremendous speed with which they dive to knock a future meal-bird (another species) out of the air.
Comments about this poem (65th-Birthday Gift(S) ..... [My Birthday Hike With My Mate; Birds; Cheap Spousal Gifts; SHORT] by Bri Edwards )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Without Purpose Or Reason Affixed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Baobab Tree, I Am Krakatoa
- Game of chance, Aftab Alam
- 'Tween Love and Hatred,, Aftab Alam
- Life alright, hasmukh amathalal
- A Child Is Like A Flowering Rose, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Only one...1, hasmukh amathalal
- Caring For A Lonely Heart, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Play Any Tune, Neela Nath
- It Was the Best Day, Sandra Feldman