65th-Birthday Gift(S) ..... [My Birthday Hike With My Mate; Birds; Cheap Spousal Gifts; SHORT]
My odometer turned over again. I’m a youthful 65.
To my delight I was given 3 fine gifts; gifts that were alive!
We had gone hiking up a hill, overlooking the nearby ocean.
I heard a call from above us, and saw three birds in motion.
Three peregrine falcons soared and swooped. Was it all for FREE?
No! said my mate: “I paid them lots of money,.....to do it all for thee.”
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
peregrine falcons, which look like streamlined hawks, are known for having been close to extinction due to pesticide contamination during my lifetime. a pesticide, DDT i think, was banned in the u.s. and efforts were made to encourage successful nesting, including providing artificial nest sites on tops of city skyscrapers. the birds are also famous for the tremendous speed with which they dive to knock a future meal-bird (another species) out of the air.
Comments about this poem (65th-Birthday Gift(S) ..... [My Birthday Hike With My Mate; Birds; Cheap Spousal Gifts; SHORT] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Live Life Smiling, Elizabeth Garcia
- Quiet Dave, Adeosun Olamide
- We Are That, Tushar Ray
- Old-Fashioned Cosmology, douglas scotney
- Dreamt Of You 3, Michael McParland
- That's When You Do It, douglas scotney
- Freedom in Love's Prison, Paul Hartal
- Gun Propaganda, Is It Poetry
- Silver Spoons, Mikey Bachman
- Perjury against the Innocent Punished by.., Dimitri Jagodinski
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Lesson, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 March 1941 -)