I try them on like shirts or shoes to see if they fit,
And have my own Venice carnival,
I create them for fun, sometimes, but more for protection,
Those masks that people call by my name,
Personality that wears off with every rain
And crumbles under the heat of the sun.
The public decay of an acting corpse.
Who would you like to see today, my audience,
Whose presence can you tolerate tonight?
Whose presence can I bear to show?
Do you walk away when I cry?
Do you expect a phony laugh and how are you?
The artist, the victim, the murderer?
Write the play for me and I create myself!
Every so often I die with my mask, lie with my mask,
Cry with my mask and kill it off for you, my audience,
When I have jumped the shark like a cheap,
Horrendous character in a pointless play.
And sometimes all I do is put me away.
Some faces are useful when you have forgotten,
And stop asking what is underneath.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (23 Fitzroy by Jan Hauck )
- Hiding In The Open In Her Room, Is It Poetry
- All Hallows Eve, David Lewis Paget
- The Devil Twists God's Words & Desires., Tom Zart
- Naturality, michael walkerjohn
- time, lee fones
- I Saw You Today, Raven McCall
- 'First Step', michael walkerjohn
- conkers, lee fones
- Big Bang Memory, Kim Barney
- Sum of Life, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- If I Knew Someone Cared, Nicole Rawls
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- CHERYL winter
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)