I try them on like shirts or shoes to see if they fit,
And have my own Venice carnival,
I create them for fun, sometimes, but more for protection,
Those masks that people call by my name,
Personality that wears off with every rain
And crumbles under the heat of the sun.
The public decay of an acting corpse.
Who would you like to see today, my audience,
Whose presence can you tolerate tonight?
Whose presence can I bear to show?
Do you walk away when I cry?
Do you expect a phony laugh and how are you?
The artist, the victim, the murderer?
Write the play for me and I create myself!
Every so often I die with my mask, lie with my mask,
Cry with my mask and kill it off for you, my audience,
When I have jumped the shark like a cheap,
Horrendous character in a pointless play.
And sometimes all I do is put me away.
Some faces are useful when you have forgotten,
And stop asking what is underneath.
Jan Hauck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (23 Fitzroy by Jan Hauck )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- My cage..., Liliana lopez
- Prayer To My Ancestors, Tony Adah
- You're Making This Too Easy, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I need you., Tyler Anhorn
- Cosmic soul., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- What's up, dude..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Automatic Weaponry...And Kids….Ain't Chi.., James B. Earley
- I'll pray you never run away, Mark Heathcote
- See and please come, gajanan mishra
- The Wind, Sara Militello