Forough Farrokhzad Poems
- The Wave To me you are a wave; never here, never there! You...
- Gift I speak out of the deep of night out of the deep of ...
- Another Birth A dark and chanted verse is what I am Forever ...
- The Bird May Die... I feel sad, I feel blue. I go outside ...
- It Is Only Sound That Remains Why should I stop, why? the ...
- Only The Sound Will Last Why shall I mind, why? Birds fled ...
- Age Seven Ay, age seven Ay, the magnanimous moment of ...
Forugh Farrokhzād was an Iranian poet and film director. Forugh Farrokhzad is arguably one of Iran's most influential female poets of the twentieth century. She was a controversial modernist poet and an iconoclast.
Forugh (also spelled Forough) was born in Tehran to career military officer Colonel Mohammad Bagher Farrokhzad and his wife Touran Vaziri-Tabar in 1935. The third of seven children (Amir, Massoud, Mehrdad, Fereydoun Farrokhzad, Pouran Farrokhzad, Gloria), she attended school until the ninth grade, then was taught painting and sewing at a girl's school for the manual arts. At age sixteen she was married to Parviz Shapour, an acclaimed satirist. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Forough Farrokhzad
To me you are a wave;
never here, never there!
You are –still- nowhere!
dragging, then fleeing away,
you swiftly spread- like a deadly plague,
on the run for the Other Soil, your destination's vague!
from far and wide,
in my seized eye,
you’re a rebellious tide-
in an eternal glide.
Insistent, impatient, then a restless errant,
you must be calm in heart, fretful just in act!
And I now know, the sea of regret- is your native land.
Yes, you are an unruly tide!
So always on the ride,
in an eternal ...