Forough Farrokhzad Poems
- Another Birth A dark and chanted verse is what I am Forever ...
- Gift I speak out of the deep of night out of the deep of ...
- The Wave To me you are a wave; never here, never there! You...
- Only The Sound Will Last Why shall I mind, why? Birds fled ...
- Age Seven Ay, age seven Ay, the magnanimous moment of ...
- It Is Only Sound That Remains Why should I stop, why? the ...
- The Bird May Die... I feel sad, I feel blue. I go outside ...
Forugh Farrokhzād was an Iranian poet and film director. Forugh Farrokhzad is arguably one of Iran's most influential female poets of the twentieth century. She was a controversial modernist poet and an iconoclast.
Forugh (also spelled Forough) was born in Tehran to career military officer Colonel Mohammad Bagher Farrokhzad and his wife Touran Vaziri-Tabar in 1935. The third of seven children (Amir, Massoud, Mehrdad, Fereydoun Farrokhzad, Pouran Farrokhzad, Gloria), she attended school until the ninth grade, then was taught painting and sewing at a girl's school for the manual arts. At age sixteen she was married to Parviz Shapour, an acclaimed satirist. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Forough Farrokhzad
A dark and chanted verse is what I am
Forever bearing you
In myself imbued with you
Forth to the morning of eternal burgeonings and blooms
Oh yes I drew you through this verse oh breath
Oh yes I drew you through
This verse and crafted you
To seas to trees to fire I grafted you.
Life may be
A street crossed by a woman with a basket every day
Life may be
Rope for a man who hangs himself from a branch.
Life may be a child coming home from school.
Life may be a cigarette lighting
Up in the narcotic pause between lovemaking and love made
Or the dazed...