Forough Farrokhzad Poems
- Another Birth A dark and chanted verse is what I am Forever ...
- Gift I speak out of the deep of night out of the deep of ...
- The Wave To me you are a wave; never here, never there! You...
- It Is Only Sound That Remains Why should I stop, why? the ...
- Age Seven Ay, age seven Ay, the magnanimous moment of ...
- The Bird May Die... I feel sad, I feel blue. I go outside ...
- The Sin [gonah] I sinned a sin full of pleasure, In an ...
Forugh Farrokhzād was an Iranian poet and film director. Forugh Farrokhzad is arguably one of Iran's most influential female poets of the twentieth century. She was a controversial modernist poet and an iconoclast.
Forugh (also spelled Forough) was born in Tehran to career military officer Colonel Mohammad Bagher Farrokhzad and his wife Touran Vaziri-Tabar in 1935. The third of seven children (Amir, Massoud, Mehrdad, Fereydoun Farrokhzad, Pouran Farrokhzad, Gloria), she attended school until the ninth grade, then was taught painting and sewing at a girl's school for the manual arts. At age sixteen she was married to Parviz Shapour, an acclaimed satirist. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Forough Farrokhzad
A dark and chanted verse is what I am
Forever bearing you
In myself imbued with you
Forth to the morning of eternal burgeonings and blooms
Oh yes I drew you through this verse oh breath
Oh yes I drew you through
This verse and crafted you
To seas to trees to fire I grafted you.
Life may be
A street crossed by a woman with a basket every day
Life may be
Rope for a man who hangs himself from a branch.
Life may be a child coming home from school.
Life may be a cigarette lighting
Up in the narcotic pause between lovemaking and love made
Or the dazed...