Forough Farrokhzad Poems
- The Wave To me you are a wave; never here, never there! You...
- Gift I speak out of the deep of night out of the deep of ...
- Another Birth A dark and chanted verse is what I am Forever ...
- Only The Sound Will Last Why shall I mind, why? Birds fled ...
- Age Seven Ay, age seven Ay, the magnanimous moment of ...
- It Is Only Sound That Remains Why should I stop, why? the ...
- The Bird May Die... I feel sad, I feel blue. I go outside ...
Forugh Farrokhzād was an Iranian poet and film director. Forugh Farrokhzad is arguably one of Iran's most influential female poets of the twentieth century. She was a controversial modernist poet and an iconoclast.
Forugh (also spelled Forough) was born in Tehran to career military officer Colonel Mohammad Bagher Farrokhzad and his wife Touran Vaziri-Tabar in 1935. The third of seven children (Amir, Massoud, Mehrdad, Fereydoun Farrokhzad, Pouran Farrokhzad, Gloria), she attended school until the ninth grade, then was taught painting and sewing at a girl's school for the manual arts. At age sixteen she was married to Parviz Shapour, an acclaimed satirist. ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Forough Farrokhzad
To me you are a wave;
never here, never there!
You are –still- nowhere!
dragging, then fleeing away,
you swiftly spread- like a deadly plague,
on the run for the Other Soil, your destination's vague!
from far and wide,
in my seized eye,
you’re a rebellious tide-
in an eternal glide.
Insistent, impatient, then a restless errant,
you must be calm in heart, fretful just in act!
And I now know, the sea of regret- is your native land.
Yes, you are an unruly tide!
So always on the ride,
in an eternal ...