Why Are There Sharks? ...... [my wife's question; creation of animals; philosophy? ]
My wife asked me the other day
“Dear, why do sharks exist? ”
To try to answer that now,
all my brain’s power I must enlist.
But the other day I chose a coward’s answer
to the question, vexing.
I said “the sharks dispose of weak and injured prey”
while keeping muscles flexing.
NOW I believe that was a stupid answer,
though that’s some of what sharks do.
To the question “why do sharks exist”,
that is not at all an answer true.
[At least I don’t think it is.]
Some will say sharks exist
“because God was in a “MOOD” that day”.
Some will say “to provide thrills and chills
on movie screens”. Some will say.
Some will say “because when Mother Nature built them,
She was going through.....menopause”.
But after giving this question ALL the power
of my brain, I say “JUST BECAUSE”.
[That’s what I say.]
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
the poem is true re what she and i said (not word for word) , and the rest came to me as i bothered to try to come up with a more satisfying (to me) answer. why do YOU think sharks exist? ? ? ?
Comments about this poem (Why Are There Sharks? ...... [my wife's question; creation of animals; philosophy? ] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- G, Nassy Fesharaki
- Side, Ruta Wuneh
- Unknown, Ruta Wuneh
- Bashfulness is the ornament for a youthf.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Yours, and only mine, Maya Tod
- IQ poeam, Angry Brownbear
- Lacklustre thoughts, Angry Brownbear
- Mindless Wind, Angry Brownbear
- Screams of Silence, Angry Brownbear
- Abode Aroma, Angry Brownbear
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Viggo Stuckenberg
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1841 - 1896)
William Schwenck Gilbert
(1836 - 1911)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns