Why Are There Sharks? ...... [my wife's question; creation of animals; philosophy? ]
My wife asked me the other day
“Dear, why do sharks exist? ”
To try to answer that now,
all my brain’s power I must enlist.
But the other day I chose a coward’s answer
to the question, vexing.
I said “the sharks dispose of weak and injured prey”
while keeping muscles flexing.
NOW I believe that was a stupid answer,
though that’s some of what sharks do.
To the question “why do sharks exist”,
that is not at all an answer true.
[At least I don’t think it is.]
Some will say sharks exist
“because God was in a “MOOD” that day”.
Some will say “to provide thrills and chills
on movie screens”. Some will say.
Some will say “because when Mother Nature built them,
She was going through.....menopause”.
But after giving this question ALL the power
of my brain, I say “JUST BECAUSE”.
[That’s what I say.]
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
the poem is true re what she and i said (not word for word) , and the rest came to me as i bothered to try to come up with a more satisfying (to me) answer. why do YOU think sharks exist? ? ? ?
Comments about this poem (Why Are There Sharks? ...... [my wife's question; creation of animals; philosophy? ] by Bri Edwards )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Mark Strand
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Breaking Free, Michael P. McParland
- Brand New Start, Michael P. McParland
- Bipolar Type 1, Michael P. McParland
- Bipolar, Michael P. McParland
- An Interior Waltz, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Better, Michael P. McParland
- Believe It Or Not, Michael P. McParland
- Bedtime Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- PH: Echo: Bifurcated Brian, Brian Johnston
- Another Soul, Ronald Chapman