Why Are There Sharks? ...... [my wife's question; creation of animals; philosophy? ]
My wife asked me the other day
“Dear, why do sharks exist? ”
To try to answer that now,
all my brain’s power I must enlist.
But the other day I chose a coward’s answer
to the question, vexing.
I said “the sharks dispose of weak and injured prey”
while keeping muscles flexing.
NOW I believe that was a stupid answer,
though that’s some of what sharks do.
To the question “why do sharks exist”,
that is not at all an answer true.
[At least I don’t think it is.]
Some will say sharks exist
“because God was in a “MOOD” that day”.
Some will say “to provide thrills and chills
on movie screens”. Some will say.
Some will say “because when Mother Nature built them,
She was going through.....menopause”.
But after giving this question ALL the power
of my brain, I say “JUST BECAUSE”.
[That’s what I say.]
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
the poem is true re what she and i said (not word for word) , and the rest came to me as i bothered to try to come up with a more satisfying (to me) answer. why do YOU think sharks exist? ? ? ?
Comments about this poem (Why Are There Sharks? ...... [my wife's question; creation of animals; philosophy? ] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- My Dear Sweet Kira, Michael McParland
- The Writing Competition!, Denis Martindale
- Daru Piyo, Talk To The Girl And Do Naxal.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love and Strange Horses—Intima', Nathalie Handal
- debris, oskar hansen
- Les Éventails, Portraits of Passion, Nathalie Handal
- The Hooked & Crooked Men As The Communis.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Star chat........., SALINI NAIR
- Chicane, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Just A Few Simple Words, Electric Lady
Poem of the Day
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1886 - 1967)