Truth Lies Within
Within the body lies the essence which the Vedas and the Puranas are seeking.
Within this body exists the entire Universe, so the sagacious Saints say.
Recluses, ascetics and monks are searching for Him in variegated garbs.
Rishis, munis and avdhoots lay stress on scriptures and holy books.
The learned of the world, puffed up with pride in their scholarly traditions, remain deluded by their erudition.
They delude the world through the practice of pilgrimage, fasting and charity;
They glorify bathing in holy waters and their gollowers bear the evil consequences.
They get lost in rituals and external observances and never can reach the destination.
Such is the state of people in this world
Who keep revolving in the cycle of eighty-four.
Only the Saints have attained the Ultimate, O Tulsi,
They obtain liberation who realize this truth.
The pedantic are engrossed in the practice of traditions,
And evermore, in their ego, are they enslaved by delusion
[Translation by S. L. Sondhi]
Goswami Tulsidas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Truth Lies Within by Goswami Tulsidas )
- Planet Hollywood Birthdays, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Distant Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Don't, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Surmounting Problems, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Reflection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Marks Of Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Wake Of Suicide, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Miracle, Vian Sabri
- The Acrobat, Pat Raia
- Hupa, John Tansey
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
(1644 - 1694)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1716 - 1784)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)