Truth Lies Within
Within the body lies the essence which the Vedas and the Puranas are seeking.
Within this body exists the entire Universe, so the sagacious Saints say.
Recluses, ascetics and monks are searching for Him in variegated garbs.
Rishis, munis and avdhoots lay stress on scriptures and holy books.
The learned of the world, puffed up with pride in their scholarly traditions, remain deluded by their erudition.
They delude the world through the practice of pilgrimage, fasting and charity;
They glorify bathing in holy waters and their gollowers bear the evil consequences.
They get lost in rituals and external observances and never can reach the destination.
Such is the state of people in this world
Who keep revolving in the cycle of eighty-four.
Only the Saints have attained the Ultimate, O Tulsi,
They obtain liberation who realize this truth.
The pedantic are engrossed in the practice of traditions,
And evermore, in their ego, are they enslaved by delusion
[Translation by S. L. Sondhi]
Goswami Tulsidas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Truth Lies Within by Goswami Tulsidas )
- The Quiet Room, fiona sinclair
- White Christmas, fiona sinclair
- When a sex symbol takes to sensible shoes, fiona sinclair
- Mohobbat gulaami, Saleem Zidi
- The reluctant bride and groom, fiona sinclair
- Fear, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Bezaar aankhien, Saleem Zidi
- A Noble teacher., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Women of a certain age, fiona sinclair
- Dawn of the Days, Dorthe Wisbech Clausen
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns