Chess dela Cruz
The sun shone as usual,
and he was going to work as usual.
He was in the afternoon shift.
And there was nothing of a new leap.
Ascending the stairs
was always a gasp for the air.
He saw people waiting for the train.
The rail was there still,
and there’s no chance of derail.
The view of its long path reminded
him of a journey.
It’s nothing else but his life’s journey.
He stood and waited at the usual place.
The train approached, and everybody gazed.
Thereafter, the door opened.
Everybody entered, and the train rode again.
As he sat down, he saw two familiar faces
whom he did not know the names.
Many seats were not taken still.
Nobody was talking, and the quietude
was so tranquil.
Different faces showed different expression.
The picture of solitude was common.
The train stopped once more
to unload and load once more.
The quietude was broken for a while,
and the journey continued for a long while.
At times, he saw people talking here and there.
But periods of silence were still there.
Finally, the train reached his destination.
He got out and walked his way on.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Routine by Chess dela Cruz )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Michael P. McParland
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- I Love You..!, SAK Reddy
- Into Depths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You will find, hasmukh amathalal
- Bale Visions, Adeosun Olamide
- The good theme, hasmukh amathalal
- Whatever The Outcome, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I'm Scared Without You, Michael P. McParland
- Stars, Jordan Myrie
- farewell; to the lost love, ademola oluwabusayo
- I'll Always, Michael P. McParland