The Road Not Taken Revisited
Two roads diverged in a shabby wood,
And my fears could not travel both.
My vision was not clear from where I stood
With a troubled soul under my hood,
All I see was darkness and its growth.
"I have many doubts in my mind"
I looked down both as far as I could.
Mohammedan's swords shaped the far left troth,
And Christendom on my far right where Robin Hood once stood
And both, my voice they misunderstood.
Too much-jagged bent and undergrowth!
"To keep the peace I stayed behind"
A third I discovered the same day,
Star of David as sharp as a dagger
Bleeds Palestine dry like chipped clay.
I broke down in tears in a new way,
Made my heart stumble and stagger.
"I suffered from the same old grind"
And having perhaps the better claim,
Thought for passing there felt queer,
Had worn me really about the same.
I mistrust man, and his repetitive shame.
Syria today is the new holocaust tear.
"God absent when passion is false and blind"
Sorry to say, I hesitated to travel
The cross or crescent levelling rod.
Their justice is the modern gavel
Where compassion tends to unravel
The better I am without man's God.
"Is nature better off without mankind? '
Voltaire valiantly voiced and I quote:
"If God does not exist man must invent him".
After undressing each memorial's trench coat,
And tallying the killed souls note-by-note,
Avoiding religion's fanaticism seems dim.
"God's heartbeat like mine declined'
I shall be telling this with a cry:
Generals and renegades plan wars, and hence
Hearts diverge from where God stood, and I
Took His one road less travelled by:
Peace. And that has made all the difference.
"My heart and God's purpose aligned! '
Copyright Leaking Pen 2013
Revised Oct 25th 2014
Leaking Pen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Road Not Taken Revisited by Leaking Pen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Solitary song, gajanan mishra
- To Sleep I Go, Michael P. McParland
- Beneath The Joy, Margaret Moran
- This funny thing called Snow, Angell Afinowi
- One Last Chance, Abby Bilan
- Love Note 9, Michael P. McParland
- Lamentation of the Weak, Abby Bilan
- Love so unkempt..., Kenneth Maswabi
- morning conversation, oskar hansen
- Rescued, Ima Ryma