The Road Not Taken Revisited
Two roads diverged in a shabby wood,
And my fears could not travel both.
My vision was not clear from where I stood
With a troubled soul under my hood,
All I see was darkness and its growth.
"I have many doubts in my mind"
I looked down both as far as I could.
Mohammedan's swords shaped the far left troth,
And Christendom on my far right where Robin Hood once stood
And both, my voice they misunderstood.
Too much-jagged bent and undergrowth!
"To keep the peace I stayed behind"
A third I discovered the same day,
Star of David as sharp as a dagger
Bleeds Palestine dry like chipped clay.
I broke down in tears in a new way,
Made my heart stumble and stagger.
"I suffered from the same old grind"
And having perhaps the better claim,
Thought for passing there felt queer,
Had worn me really about the same.
I mistrust man, and his repetitive shame.
Syria today is the new holocaust tear.
"God absent when passion is false and blind"
Sorry to say, I hesitated to travel
The cross or crescent levelling rod.
Their justice is the modern gavel
Where compassion tends to unravel
The better I am without man's God.
"Is nature better off without mankind? '
Voltaire valiantly voiced and I quote:
"If God does not exist man must invent him".
After undressing each memorial's trench coat,
And tallying the killed souls note-by-note,
Avoiding religion's fanaticism seems dim.
"God's heartbeat like mine declined'
I shall be telling this with a cry:
Generals and renegades plan wars, and hence
Hearts diverge from where God stood, and I
Took His one road less travelled by:
Peace. And that has made all the difference.
"My heart and God's purpose aligned! '
Copyright Leaking Pen 2013
Revised Oct 25th 2014
Leaking Pen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Road Not Taken Revisited by Leaking Pen )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(November 19, 1942)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(22 July 1849 – 19 November 1887)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Deflowered Idea..., Luana Del Lobo
- Do You Love Me?, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
- Jo Tum Aa Jaate Ek Bar, Mahadevi Varma
- 'Hands up, Don't Shoot' Haiku for Michae.., Chenou Liu
Poem of the Day
- ETC3, shuvo chakraborty
- SONNET II, Sir Toby Moses
- Tamil on decline, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- A Life-Lesson, Luo Zhihai
- The Sunprincess, Akhtar Jawad
- Movement incidental, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Before Storm, Luo Zhihai
- Fate rules the outcome., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Cheap labor, Nassy Fesharaki
- Feed the ego, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.