Sacrifice of the ego, privilege to the soul
Praying with ego, or praying with soul,
The ego prayer is our ego, talking.
It sees prayer as a sacrifice of our time,
So that later we will benefit.
I will do something for God,
so I can get rewards later.
Can you see the huge arrogance
already creeping in, in the motives alone.
I, my ego, will do something for God.
How can we do something for God?
God is so great and omnipotent
that He is not affected by any of our actions.
We cannot affect God.
Only God can affect us.
But the ego prayer is still thinking:
If I please God now, make the sacrifice
and say the prayers I have memorised,
I will get my rewards later,
while the others deserve their own punishment;
- something we may even enjoy to see if the moment arrives,
since they have been so stupid
not to follow the same rules we believe in.
Our ego is always thinking in a commercial way.
Superior versus inferior.
I do something for you, you do something for me.
A mild form of corruption?
Only our ego could make us think and act as such.
The soul prayer is our soul, praying
It sees prayer as a gift of God to us
something sent to us from heaven,
something we can do for ourselves.
Praying is no longer a sacrifice we make for God,
it is a privilege we accept.
By praising God and praying with our heart, our mind and our soul,
we will immediately experience peace of mind
and if even that would be the only reward,
it would be already enough for us to keep on praying.
But it is not the only reward.
In the process we gain insights that help us,
live a more complete and happy life full of peace of mind.
It will really help us to see God’s plan for us.
We will become alerter and try to miss fewer opportunities to do good.
We will start to live more as a soul person and less as an ego person.
Living a life according to God’s plan,
we may die with great peace of mind that lasts well into eternity.
After a soul prayer we will not feel to be the good ones
deserving rewards in distant future,
while the ones not praying like us are the bad ones
after a soul prayer we will realise all of us are poor sinners
and it is our duty to do as much good as possible
and in the process inspire as many people as possible to do good with us.
This will result in an immediate but lasting peace of mind
Aufie Zophy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sacrifice of the ego, privilege to the soul by Aufie Zophy )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13-7-31 (see reverse))
- (Adi Sankara) 07 Sankara's works, Rajaram Ramachandran
- (Adi Sankara) 06 A Guru was found, Rajaram Ramachandran
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Life Begins Again, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Good Soul, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Best Wishes My Love, Valentine Mbagu
- Relativity And Love, Sambanath Denis
- 2014, Joseph Archer
- For violating state law, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- De optelsom van al het Kwaad, Madrason writer
- Summer, Jordy lustig
- Once More, Ahmad Husain
- The Cry Of The Shadow, Bazi alis Subrata Ray