Night At Kanchra Para
Night at Kanchra Para. The broken rail-engines are in the depot now.
The cracked boilers puff out long sighs in their rest−
Their movement obstructed. The mechanics then come
And bring molten steel and hammer again and again.
These mechanical devils with the heat of firy steam
Roam day and night in flatland and difficult terrain
On equi-distant rail-lines, cross bridges
And run for destinations in Darjeeling and Assam.
Now wounded they are this evening at Kanchra Para.
Away at a distance civic hopes flicker in red, yellow and blue;
Indomitable lust's hunger due to firy obsession;
Mechanics' womenfolk sing near the depot.
Hammers also lose their aim, pale moon in this dark night,
Kanchra Para is vibrant with women's gesture and dream.
[Translated by Abdur Rashid Khan]
Farrukh Ahmad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Night At Kanchra Para by Farrukh Ahmad )
- This Is Our Mega City, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.55, Monk E. Biz
- Global Village, Bijay Kant Dubey
- PRETTY GOOD START.., ging taping
- Draw me in your heart, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- The thirst is a thorn., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Simple toys, hasmukh amathalal
- Acquaintance across the gender, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Begining of my love, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- What is all truth, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Primary Colours, vince gullaci
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)