A Moment's Poem
Time - eternal, still. Only the fleeting moments
Swift restless like the wag-tail visit the sea-shore
In the strong tide just like the seasonal birds
And fill the earth with a spectrum-white yellow and blue.
These heavenly birds leave the unknown sky
And rush towards the earth in dusky twilight
For the sighs of life, very intimate to the heart,
And sing in a passionate tone the eternal song.
This poem of a moment, these momentary songs
May not reach that height of music,
May not find its way to success;
They braved for the sea-shore with little capital.
Yet you keep in mind : this worthless momentary song
Discards the minaret's arrogance and prizes the dust.
[Translated by Abdur Rashid Khan]
Farrukh Ahmad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Moment's Poem by Farrukh Ahmad )
- Substituting for Another Teacher, Pierre Lien
- Describe, Aparna Chatterjee
- Unfringe A Singaporean Poem (Nonconform.., Merton Lee
- Quizz with broad hints for blind poets, T (no first name) Wignesan
- My Hijab, Samudeen M.A. Ilimu
- Wet Casements, John Ashbery
- The Work, Allen Grossman
- Eideolon, Book 3, Section 7, H. D.
- The winter of forever, Cee Bea
- TO DIE, Dennis Field
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Conscience, Henry David Thoreau
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Suicide in the Trenches, Siegfried Sassoon
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)