N.Zabolotsky, The Unbeautiful girl - translation (rus.)
The unbeautiful girl
by Nikolai Zabolotzky
Among the other playing children she
Seems to be a little awful frogling.
The pants tucked in her poor shirt you see,
The curly hair - tousled all and nodding,
The curve teeth and the mouth long on face,
The features're sharp and ugly to disgrace.
The fathers recently have bought the bicyles
For two boys of the same age, and today
They're driving round court yard joyously,
Despite of dinner, everything away,
She's running after them so gay.
The boy's fun does exist there in her self,
She tries to pour the feelings out,
And she is laughing and rejoicing with them
This happy Being shouting aloud.
No any shade of envy or a poor thought
This creature does not know till the day.
And everything is new around her,
All is alive, that someone throws away!
I don't wish to think, that years later
It will be day, when she would burst to cry
While seeing truth and turning into horror
With view as plain girl in comparison to other!
I wish then to believe, that pure flame,
Which's shining in her inner soul,
Would diminish then all her pain
And throw off the heaviest inner stone.
So let's her features neither be so good,
Nor she could lure someone's fancy cent, -
Her infantile grace of soul should
Shine though any of her vivid movements.
And if it's so, what's then the Beauty?
Why do the people deify its mode?
May be it is the vessel with futility,
Or fire twinkling in the vessel infold?
Lyudmila Purgina's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (N.Zabolotsky, The Unbeautiful girl - translation (rus.) by Lyudmila Purgina )
- Sonnet: Labourers in the Vineyard (Mathe.., Dr John Celes
- Prayer To God-Sri Ramakrishna., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- The Deserted Spring, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Love In Lovers' Poetry, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Fun never runs out!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- The Passing Winds, Tex T Sarnie
- Too Few Words, Tex T Sarnie
- Wake up!, Md. Asadullah
- viper kiss, aaron jimenez
- बहाना/ Bahaanaa, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)