Fathers Poems - Poems For Fathers
Poems about fathers. You can read the best fathers poems. Browse through all fathers poems.
A Father To His Son - Poem by Carl Sandburg
A father sees his son nearing manhood.
What shall he tell that son?
'Life is hard; be steel; be a rock.'
And this might stand him for the storms
and serve him for humdrum monotony
and guide him among sudden betrayals
and tighten him for slack moments.
'Life is a soft loam; be gentle; go easy.'
And this too might serve him.
Brutes have been gentled where lashes failed.
The growth of a frail flower in a path up
has sometimes shattered and split a rock.
A tough will counts. So does desire.
So does a rich soft wanting.
Without rich wanting nothing arrives.
Tell him too much money has killed men
and left them dead years before burial:
the quest of lucre beyond a few easy needs
has twisted good enough men
sometimes into dry thwarted worms.
Tell him time as a stuff can be wasted.
Tell him to be a fool every so often
and to have no shame over having been a fool
yet learning something out of every folly
hoping to repeat none of the cheap follies
thus arriving at intimate understanding
of a world numbering many fools.
Tell him to be alone often and get at himself
and above all tell himself no lies about himself
whatever the white lies and protective fronts
he may use against other people.
Tell him solitude is creative if he is strong
and the final decisions are made in silent rooms.
Tell him to be different from other people
if it comes natural and easy being different.
Let him have lazy days seeking his deeper motives.
Let him seek deep for where he is born natural.
Then he may understand Shakespeare
and the Wright brothers, Pasteur, Pavlov,
Michael Faraday and free imaginations
Bringing changes into a world resenting change.
He will be lonely enough
to have time for the work
he knows as his own.
Comments about A Father To His Son by Carl Sandburg
Poems About Fathers
- 1. A Father To His Son , Carl Sandburg
- 2. Our Fathers Of Old , Rudyard Kipling
- 3. The Fathers , Edwin Muir
- 4. The Father , Katharine Tynan
- 5. Memory Of My Father , Patrick Kavanagh
- 6. Father , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 7. The Fathers , Siegfried Sassoon
- 8. The Little Boy Lost , William Blake
- 9. Our Fathers Also , Rudyard Kipling
- 10. Father And Child , William Butler Yeats
- 11. Come Up From The Fields, Father , Walt Whitman
- 12. Who Were 'The Father And The Son' , Emily Dickinson
- 13. Heavenly Father , Emily Dickinson
- 14. My Papa's Waltz , Theodore Roethke
- 15. Anecdote For Fathers , William Wordsworth
- 16. Father's Chore , Edgar Albert Guest
- 17. Fatherhood , Edgar Albert Guest
- 18. My Father Was A Farmer: A Ballad , Robert Burns
- 19. Epitaph On My Ever Honoured Father , Robert Burns
- 20. Father And Son , Edgar Albert Guest
- 21. To Her Father With Some Verses , Anne Bradstreet
- 22. Father Riley's Horse , Banjo Paterson
- 23. You Are Old Father William , Lewis Carroll
- 24. Father , Edgar Albert Guest
- 25. Father , Edgar Albert Guest
- 26. Father , Philip Levine
- 27. Father, Farewell! Be Not Distressed , Alfred Austin
- 28. The Childless Father , William Wordsworth
- 29. My Father's Chair , Rudyard Kipling
- 30. On The Beach At Night , Walt Whitman
- 31. My Fathers, The Baltic , Philip Levine
- 32. Father Abe , Francis William Lauderdale A ..
- 33. The Father’s Curse , Victor Marie Hugo
- 34. Only A Dad , Edgar Albert Guest
- 35. If , Rudyard Kipling
- 36. Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night , Dylan Thomas
- 37. Menaphon: Sephesta's Song To Her Child , Robert Greene
- 38. Working Late , Louis Simpson
- 39. Yesterday , William Stanley Merwin
- 40. My Father On His Shield , Walt McDonald
- 41. Follower , Seamus Heaney
- 42. Father Explains , Czeslaw Milosz
- 43. My Father's Love Letters , Yusef Komunyakaa
- 44. The Landing Of The Pilgrim Fathers , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 45. Song To Be Sung By The Father Of Infant .. , Ogden Nash
- 46. Father William , Lewis Carroll
- 47. With My Father , Kobayashi Issa
- 48. The Father Of Toads , Russell Edson
- 49. The Father , Joshua Sylvester
- 50. Sonnet 37: As A Decrepit Father Takes De.. , William Shakespeare
New Fathers Poems
- Plight Of My Generation, Damilare Tella
- Dawn Of A New Age, victoria goddy
- 1000 Years Of Peace, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Fatherless, Charity Nduhiu
- It Takes More Than Titles, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Fathers Day, Phil Soar
- Salsaabil 15 Poem@sakisabre, SAKISABRE Saki
- Our Generation, Hedy Henderson
- Her Fathers Eyes, steve stirk
- Father's Day, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- carpe diem