A War Song to Englishmen
Prepare, prepare the iron helm of war,
Bring forth the lots, cast in the spacious orb;
Th' Angel of Fate turns them with mighty hands,
And casts them out upon the darken'd earth!
Prepare your hearts for Death's cold hand! prepare
Your souls for flight, your bodies for the earth;
Prepare your arms for glorious victory;
Prepare your eyes to meet a holy God!
Whose fatal scroll is that? Methinks 'tis mine!
Why sinks my heart, why faltereth my tongue?
Had I three lives, I'd die in such a cause,
And rise, with ghosts, over the well-fought field.
The arrows of Almighty God are drawn!
Angels of Death stand in the louring heavens!
Thousands of souls must seek the realms of light,
And walk together on the clouds of heaven!
Soldiers, prepare! Our cause is Heaven's cause;
Soldiers, prepare! Be worthy of our cause:
Prepare to meet our fathers in the sky:
Prepare, O troops, that are to fall to-day!
Alfred shall smile, and make his harp rejoice;
The Norman William, and the learnèd Clerk,
And Lion Heart, and black-brow'd Edward, with
His loyal queen, shall rise, and welcome us!
William Blake's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A War Song to Englishmen by William Blake )
Did you read them?
- Actions follow one another, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Chini Kwa Chini, michael walkerjohn
- The Nature's Paradise, Eshan Gupta
- Welcome celebration, hasmukh amathalal
- Flow with time, hasmukh amathalal
- five hundred and whatever..., Mandolyn ...
- Copyrights, Mark Heathcote
- Freedom Not Permitted, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Feel bad, hasmukh amathalal
- Why Do You Want to Destroy?, Mantu Mahakul
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)