Mist and legend
While walking down a country lane,
i felt my soul pulled back in time.
Surrounded by the ancient ones,
whose lives long spent had entered mine.
Then dressed in garb of ancient days,
i walked the road along tilled field.
Sharing heat from open fires their stories
told heroic deeds.
In whispered tones with furtive looks,
they spoke of fearsome fairy folk.
Who tempted men with talk of gold.
While leading them from human sight.
One spoke of babies disappeared,
from cots unguarded by a tongs,
whose mothers hearts when rent in two
With guilt fueled grief their lives did end
They talked of hunger foe of all.
Whose dread spiked finger blacked the spud
Its touch turned stalks to putrid mess.
Causing death to visit multitudes.
Then ancient mist cleared from my mind.
My soul returned to rightful place.
No more to walk through mists of time.
a fleeting glance was mine to take
Noreen Carden's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
people believed if you placed a fire tongs across a baby cot the fairies could not steal the child away
Comments about this poem (Mist and legend by Noreen Carden )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Gordon D Wilkinson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- If We Were Good......., Sandra Feldman
- Consolation, Tony Adah
- Goodnight Kiss, Michael P. McParland
- Marshes Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- What I Dream And What I Find, Amitava Sur
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses
- Being Rich, Randy McClave