Death is my destination
right now I have no way to escape it
but you can do it
each night I fall in tears
for i don't believe my friend is going to betray me
I have trusted you for more than twenty years
I have made decisions with your influence
played with you
and I have dined with you but it was for the sake of your benefit.
My heart bits are fast
not because am sick
but because i fear that machete you carrying
those bows and arrows you have
the guns that are pointed at me
I feel am done.
Now I ask is it because my community is a minority?
is it because we are always leaders?
is it because we know how to do business?
is it because my community knows how to cook chicken
or it is it because we have no numbers?
am tired with your threats
am tired with your myopic mind
I have never trespassed you
but if you want to kill me its not fair.
I feel this death now
my mother is wailing to have lost his only son
my sisters have no one to call a brother
my dad cries his wasted investment
but am already gone
I never thought to be dead
at such a time
it was not my choice
but my right killed me
May God forgive you.
Please Kenya don't kill your people
it will haunt you
remember the scars of 2007/2008
the world is watching you
but that is not the case
just don't kill your brother
PEACE ON THIS PLANET BEGINS WITH YOU.
Cunningham Mbati's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (DESTINATION by Cunningham Mbati )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Bird's View - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- motherly love, Candymarie Nevin
- Random Thought, fletcher maddern
- Still Awake 2, Michael P. McParland
- Esprit de corps, Naveed Khalid
- Escaping Home, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Enjoying Conversations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- How Long A Breath of Moment Be...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Communicating Through Talent, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moments Of Refreshing Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak