Confined To My Cage
'Haven't you started yet? '
'The ship is still in yard', He said.
'Her maiden voyage? '
'Yes it is', He replied.
Flashed in my mind,
For some reason,
Not while hitting an iceberg,
Not as the unsinkable ship sinking;
Just the name of that ill-fated ship,
Flashed across the sea of my mind...
Was this foreboding?
Or a game played,
By my selective memory?
Never could I know,
Nor could I ask him,
To defer his voyage...
Tough is a mariner's job,
Its security, a major concern,
Risking life, he surrenders to the sea,
To make a living.
Ah, my insecurities!
I muffled the scream within,
Ranjit Ravindran's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Confined To My Cage by Ranjit Ravindran )
- I'll Be Holding You, Josep Rodriguez
- No One Came, David Harris
- she, Surendra Negi
- Meant To Be, Mark Arvizu
- Trembling Thirst, Mantu Mahakul
- Final Truth, Mantu Mahakul
- The Sower And the Seed, George Egba
- Garden capers, Mark Heathcote
- Controlling the five senses leads one to.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Buried in my chest, Meena Mustafa
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)