Suman Kumar Das
Chemistry of Calcutta
Lying beside the Ganges
May it be sun or rain
As a true pal since time immemorial.
She is Calcutta. Yes, Calcutta!
Whose heart is full of pleasure
Dances with joy in all festivals
Forgetting caste, creed, colour.
Heritage like the statue of Victoria,
The mausoleum of Job Charnock
Often speak about her chemistry.
Gather here crowds in crores
Every day from every point of the world,
To peep at her enchanting beauty
Over the high Howrah bridge,
To sip winter morning tea
Served by her in burnt mud cup,
To board in midnight tram on her lap
To mingle with her life-flow.
Yes, that is chemistry of Calcutta.
Suman Kumar Das's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Chemistry of Calcutta by Suman Kumar Das )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Poem of the Day
- To Marian Haddad, -A Token Of Friendship., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- When the Colors Change, W.F.D. BLCK
- Mourning attire, Madrason writer
- On My Walmart Chair, Juan Olivarez
- White Beauty in Love with Green Apples, Harindhar Reddy
- Searching the snake catcher.(humor}, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Mizzle, Juan Olivarez
- I Found Life vis-à-vis Washing Machine, Harindhar Reddy
- Your Life Together, Bill Galvin
- When Your Heaven Called, Norman Jin Shyr Wang