Suman Kumar Das
Chemistry of Calcutta
Lying beside the Ganges
May it be sun or rain
As a true pal since time immemorial.
She is Calcutta. Yes, Calcutta!
Whose heart is full of pleasure
Dances with joy in all festivals
Forgetting caste, creed, colour.
Heritage like the statue of Victoria,
The mausoleum of Job Charnock
Often speak about her chemistry.
Gather here crowds in crores
Every day from every point of the world,
To peep at her enchanting beauty
Over the high Howrah bridge,
To sip winter morning tea
Served by her in burnt mud cup,
To board in midnight tram on her lap
To mingle with her life-flow.
Yes, that is chemistry of Calcutta.
Suman Kumar Das's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Chemistry of Calcutta by Suman Kumar Das )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- two green tomatoes smashed in the street.., Mandolyn ...
- Your Home., Kala Cain
- An Exotic Song, Kawa Karpo
- Worshiping with Deer, Bill Grace
- Serves Right, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- To My Best Enemy, Electric Lady
- Thy life, binod bastola
- Never Give Up, Sandra Feldman
- To a Muslim Assalam to a Hindu Ram Ram, Akhtar Jawad
- Enchanted Evening, The Princess