Suman Kumar Das
Chemistry of Calcutta
Lying beside the Ganges
May it be sun or rain
As a true pal since time immemorial.
She is Calcutta. Yes, Calcutta!
Whose heart is full of pleasure
Dances with joy in all festivals
Forgetting caste, creed, colour.
Heritage like the statue of Victoria,
The mausoleum of Job Charnock
Often speak about her chemistry.
Gather here crowds in crores
Every day from every point of the world,
To peep at her enchanting beauty
Over the high Howrah bridge,
To sip winter morning tea
Served by her in burnt mud cup,
To board in midnight tram on her lap
To mingle with her life-flow.
Yes, that is chemistry of Calcutta.
Suman Kumar Das's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Chemistry of Calcutta by Suman Kumar Das )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 February 1970-)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Adam Lindsay Gordon
(19 October 1833 – 24 June 1870)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong
- Twittering Among Feelings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak