An Ageing Thought
I would rather it be I, not you
That will leave this life and say adieu.
For to be left alone without you near
Is the biggest toll on my mind I fear.
I try not to dwell on it but in the back of my mind
As we get older it's harder I find
To erase it from my everyday thought.
And so I know peace can't be bought.
Who in the world decides these things?
Separation anxiety in my psyche rings
And chimes ' All's not fair in life and love.'
It never could be. It never was.
The lucky one is the one that leaves first.
The one that's left is dry with a thirst
That never again can be filled to the brim.
Usually it's the her, not the him.
And if the Gods were kind and fair
This would not be the case. They'd be aware
That leaving one behind, either you or I
Is not the way that we should die.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Ageing Thought by Edwina Reizer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- To Kill Anyone, Randy McClave
- the sun left a souvenir, signed and ever.., Mandolyn ...
- A Birdlime., Tony Adah
- Cycle, Shannon Malone
- The Little cat., Tony Adah
- Time Away, Larry Ninas
- A Wish, Muhammad Shafi Lone
- The telling Effect of Visual Spell, rajendran muthiah
- Inwards Bound, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- My Bangle, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi