A BALLAD FOR HELEN KELLER
How can I know what I can't see?
It's never been a part of me.
How can I know what I can't hear?
It's never been within my ear.
How can I know what I can't say?
It's never been my way to pray.
For all is darkness where I am.
And all is soundless where I am.
All is speechless like a clam.
But touching is a joy to me,
feeling all that I cannot see.
I feel the sounds my heart does beat.
And tastes on my tongue so sweet.
It's how my world began
until an angel came my way
and helped to lift a ban.
And now it matters not to me
what I can't say or hear or see.
The angel helped me find my way
to face another brand new day
and finally want to live.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A BALLAD FOR HELEN KELLER by Edwina Reizer )
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(3rd April 19sixty)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- वक्त का तकाजा है vakt ka takaaja hai, hasmukh amathalal
- A Lesson Learnt, Leong Ming Loong
- Pleasantries (Ghazal), Akhtar Jawad
- In love power, hasmukh amathalal
- Arrivals, Maylee Bossy
- Companionship, Leong Ming Loong
- Remain helpless, hasmukh amathalal
- A MINER'S DESTINY, Randy McClave
- Save Them, BARBARA ALVARADO
- Full recitation, hasmukh amathalal