'Along the Line'
I remember being happy. And if it's all the same,
I'll tell she woke me up each day with 'Mommy's tickle game'.
And oh that sun was much too bright; my future, full of fame.
To hear my mother's vibrant voice as she called me by my name.
I smelled the air that dried the clothes that danced along the line.
And I would take the basket in when mom ran out of time.
Mom's in the house and moving round while I would tag behind.
She questioned me where I should be and I'd say I was fine.
When my mommy tucks me in at night, I must not make a peep.
All day I wait for this good time, my memory I must keep
A tender hand to pull them up, these covers in a heap.
My sisters said she wouldn't come unless I was asleep.
Now past some years the sun had dulled and mine's the'tickle game'.
And I call out to baby girl a vibrant given name.
She'd sing off key while I would boast her future full of fame.
While we would sing each week away, the song remained the same.
I catch myself a wondering off and mulling times before.
How mom would call me in to eat. Tall, standing by our door.
Then baby girl would ask me why I tend to look afright.
I'd say that I'm remembering when the sun was much too bright.
And when its time for one more tuck, I will not make a peep.
I'll wait all day, if I've the time for a memory I did keep.
That tender hand will pull me up, this man all in a heap.
And we'll both dance beside those clothes as soon as I'm asleep.
Thomas Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The Poetaster Jul/2013
Comments about this poem ('Along the Line' by Thomas Adams )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Missing, Luo Zhihai
- THE FIRST TIME, Rosie Bourget
- [®XLIX~]Watch Super Bowl 2015 (49) Live.., Renz Barns
- Beyond Beds Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Lonely Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Happy Birthday to A Friend I'm Missing, Akhtar Jawad
- THE BREAST CANCER JOURNEY, Rosie Bourget
- Wanting To Feel, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Submonition, Dorothy Kardas, Psy.D. Th.D.
- HURT, Rosie Bourget