The Night That You Were Born
On the night that you were born, the air was calm and sweet.
The sun had set itself on down imposed it's feat, repeat.
Trees were browned and yellowed, fair, and leaves a flutter down.
And painted boldly all around, new carpets on the ground.
On the night that you were born, this welling up I bare.
A feeling new that I'd not bore before your getting there.
A tiny life that came from me and mother brave and true.
And all the while I'm bursting through, knew I'd be proud of you.
On the night that your were born, no thoughts of worldly plight.
I only focused hearty things like 'such a lovely sight.'
I dreamed of you as you would grow threw days so calm and sweet.
I'd help you gobble up this world placed firmly at your feet.
On the night that you were born, heard harp and sounding horns.
And I would walk, I'd carry you thru broken shards and thorns.
I'd spend each day too close to you so you might understand,
this wacky, whimsical, world of yours while holding tight your hand.
Now looking back when you were born, it seems just yesterday.
The true reward I've grown to know's not something I can say.
Funny how I tote this love, no pounds do I adorn.
I weigh my life by special scale, 'The Night That You Were Born.
Thomas Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The Poetaster Oct-2013
Comments about this poem (The Night That You Were Born by Thomas Adams )
- Change The Inevitable, Tony Adah
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.57, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- Long before my birth (cavatina), Gert Strydom
- Let Me Be Her<3, Nautica Moxley
- Absalom, Gert Strydom
- Freedom Is Calling, Tony Adah
- God and Guru, gajanan mishra
- Left Naked And Exposed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Birth day, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- TWILIGHT, Meggie Gultiano
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Autumn Song, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(18 November 1939)